Title: Assistant Controller
Classification: Full-time exempt
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Assistant Controller will perform, manage, and oversee the daily operations of the accounting functions for the organization. This will include monitoring and analyzing accounting data and producing financial reports or statements. You will be establishing and enforcing proper accounting methods, policies, and principles.
The Assistant Controller is an important part of ECCF’s team and is essential in ECCF achieving its organizational goals. It is expected that this person will eventually move into Controller position.
Duties and Responsibilities - Accounting:
• Verify and post gifts; deposit checks in bank account; verify transmittal and recognition in proper fund account.
• Oversee any stock gifts and provide documentation for gift recording.
• Monitor cash flow requirements to provide requisite cash for ongoing operation by performing inter fund transfers.
• Oversee accounts payable on a weekly basis.
• Process and record bi-weekly payroll and submit Simple IRA employee and employer contributions.
• Prepare and post monthly and annual reconciliations and journal entries, maintain general ledger, recurring monthly and annual journal entries. Oversee all entries by back-office provider.
• Reconcile bank accounts monthly and prepare monthly close.
• Work with Field of Interest Fund advisors to ensure charitable purpose expenditure and reporting needs are met.
• Financial reporting to Managers, Audit and Finance Committees, and Board of Directors.
• Prepare all reports and materials for the Annual Audit, and support as necessary.
• Assist in preparing the Form 990, reviewing annual this annual tax filing ensuring compliance and completeness.
• Safeguard compliance with financial/regulatory requirements that apply to 501(c) 3 community foundations.
• Monitor tax developments and FASB changes pertinent to community foundations and take appropriate actions or make recommendations as needed.
• Work with the CFO on preparation of the Annual Budget and reforecasts. Providing monthly budget to actual results. Track and research variances.
• Develop, implement, and recommend upgrades to financial information systems as appropriate and seek ways to improve financial reporting and controls.
• Ensure the adequacy of internal fiscal controls for ECCF and maintain and update internal controls procedures manual.
Duties and Responsibilities - Operations:
• Manage payroll and benefits administration processes with outside vendors; coordinate health and other insurances and payroll for staff; maintain accurate and timely benefit accrual information.
• Monitor and maintain all vendor and consultant contracts as well as equipment contracts, leases, subscriptions, and other related documentation.
• Troubleshoot technology issues and interact with outsourced vendor for resolution.
• Maintain confidentiality of Community Foundation affairs in communications, both written and oral.
• Other duties as required or assigned.
• Attend occasional at Foundation events outside work hours.
• Analyze and organize office operations and procedures to increase efficiency and productivity.
• Participate in Foundation systems training, professional development, and colleague gatherings.
• Recommend, document, and follow internal processes and practices.
The following education requirements are considered essential:
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required with at least 5-7 years of experience in a nonprofit accounting department.
• CPA is highly desired but not required.
• Knowledge of and experience in nonprofit accounting is critical.
• Knowledge of foundations and/or community foundations is a plus.
Desirable But Not Required Qualifications:
• Designed and implemented a new nonprofit accounting system.
• Grew an accounting department of a Community Foundation from $125mil in assets to $250 mil in assets.
• In-depth understanding of GAAP accounting principles, financial record-keeping, and nonprofit tax filings necessary.
• Fully proficient in use of computerized accounting systems, Microsoft, Excel and relational databases.
• Strong commitment to the local community and demonstrated cultural competency.
The following physical and other requirements are considered essential:
• Ability to lift objects of at least 25 pounds in weight.
• Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to speak with diverse personalities, strong listening skills, negotiating and reasoning skills. Ability to effectively communicate within and outside the organization.
• Performance that achieves the high standards, integrity, and values of ECCF.
Effect on End Result:
• ECCF’s financials are timely and accurate for management and board to use as operational tools.
• The Audit is conducted on schedule and achieving a clean review.
• ECCF Fundholders have what they need for reporting to manage and thank donors to funds.
• All ECCF donors are recognized accurately and timely for their gifts to the Foundation.
Please send Cover letter and Resume to HR@eccf.org.
Essex County Community Foundation ("ECCF" or "the Foundation"), provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, national origin, age, physical or mental ability, pregnancy, height, weight, veteran status, military obligations, or marital status, or any other category protected under applicable federal or state law.
In addition, Essex County Community Foundation complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.