We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can’t happen without it.
The AVP, Individual Giving and Leadership Gifts is responsible for building lifetime relationships with Individual donors and their families through targeted engagement as well as thoughtful stewardship that aligns their community interests and passions to United Way’s work. They will position United Way as the donors trusted and valued philanthropic partner of choice. Laser-focused on providing the best possible donor experience at each stage of the relationship, they will create a portfolio of mission-focused donors who not only sustain our organization but drive community impact. They will achieve clearly defined revenue goals by building and implementing strategies for cultivating high net-worth donor relationships as well as prospects in an effort to ensure maximum engagement of our donors. These efforts will ultimately lead to improved donor retention, acquisition, and growth across various channels. This position will cultivate and solicit leadership, Tocqueville, and major gift contributors and prospects through various channels including workplace campaigns, mailings, and other fund-raising events and engagement opportunities. This position is responsible for a significant major gifts portfolio as well as the Women United Program.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
Senior Director, Leadership Giving
Leadership Giving Officer Seacoast
This position is responsible for the successful management of a significant major gifts portfolio of high net-worth donors and prospects as well as overseeing United Way’s well-established Women United Affinity Group and is responsible for the management of two individual giving team members. This position works closely with the Corporate Relations team to retain, acquire, and grow leadership and Tocqueville giving in the workplace. This position will achieve success by:
- Developing and executing a moves management plan for a portfolio of approximately 300 donors and prospects
- Cultivating and stewarding donors through various channels; in-person meetings, volunteer and engagement opportunities, events, email/phone/written communications
- Soliciting donors in a thoughtful and timely fashion
- Ensuring relevant information about high-net-worth donors and prospects is shared on a consistent basis and leveraged across the organization and recorded in our database.
- Building and maintaining institutional, community and partner knowledge in order to identify opportunities for donor engagement and growth
- Working closely with Corporate Relations teams on key accounts to build leadership giving base and secure Tocqueville level gifts as well as retain donors.
- Prospecting and Soliciting new gifts
- Partnering with the Stewardship team in order to provide leadership and major donors with a best in class experience.
- Attend events after hours including weekends as needed
- Drive success in attaining revenue goals for strategic initiatives
- Manage Women United Affinity program, committees, and volunteers
- Identify and implement growth strategies within Women United membership
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 10 plus years of leadership giving and/or major gifts experience in the non-profit sector.
- Experience and understanding of consultative sales and engagement approach preferred.
- Proven experience and ability to build relationships with donors resulting in major gifts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; the ability to inform, inspire and connect prospects and donors to United Way’s work in the community
- Strong customer service skills and commitment to donor confidentiality
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong internal partnerships and work within cross-functional teams; team player.
- High-energy individual with a positive outlook.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Creative and Strategic problem solver.
- Highly motivated self-starter; able and willing to take initiative and action
- Commitment to accountability.
- Proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment required. Experience with data management systems strongly preferred.
- Volunteer Management preferred
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD FORWARD A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, Human Resources Coordinator,
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617- 624-9114
For information on additional opportunities, please access our Web Site at www.supportunitedway.org
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who
reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.