TDC, a nonprofit management consulting and research firm, seeks an Associate Consultant to join our team. TDC works exclusively with nonprofit, governmental, educational, and philanthropic organizations, providing them with the business and management tools critical to achieving mission success.
Associate Consultants’ engagements span TDC’s portfolio of work with organizations, funders, and sector-wide research projects. Associate Consultants staff multiple client engagements simultaneously, working in project teams of two to four with a variety of TDC’s senior consultants. Responsibilities include:
- Project management and client communications, including collecting and managing materials, scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, taking notes, and managing timelines and processes;
- Research, including developing research plans, designing and implementing surveys and conducting stakeholder interviews and focus groups;
- Data analysis, including review of financial information, demographic data, audience and donor data, and qualitative documents and findings;
- Deliverable preparation, including writing meeting summaries, drafting memos, preparing slide decks and presentations, and contributing to financial models and strategic plans.
Associates at TDC are exposed to a wide variety of topics, issues, organizations, and thinkers within the nonprofit/philanthropic sector, and gain experience in applied research, financial analysis and modeling, and organizational management and strategy. Associates have significant opportunities for mentorship and professional growth/promotion within TDC; many Associates have gone on to top graduate schools and impactful careers in both the nonprofit and for-profit sectors.
The starting salary range for Associate Consultants at TDC is low-$40,000 with benefits, including contributions to insurance and retirement funds. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, TDC is currently working remotely; if a candidate is not currently based in Boston, there is some flexibility regarding timelines of relocation and start date.
TDC looks for the following qualities and skills in Associate Consultant candidates:
- Interest in the nonprofit sector: strong alignment to TDC’s mission of supporting nonprofit organizations and funders;
- Intellectual curiosity: a willingness to think critically about big issues, try new things, and continuously learn;
- Analytical skills: fluency with both numbers and words, and the ability to synthesize research and make meaning from quantitative and qualitative data;
- Organizational/project coordination skills: a keen attention to detail, and the ability manage multiple competing projects, priorities, and deadlines;
- Communication skills: the ability to clearly and professionally communicate ideas and information verbally and through structured, logical, error-free writing.
We expect candidates to hold a bachelor’s degree, although we will consider candidates with different educational backgrounds who demonstrate aptitude through previous work experience.
While not expected or required, strong candidates for the Associate Consultant will possess one or more of the following:
- One to two years of professional work experience or substantive internship experience
- Experience or interest in arts and culture, education, youth development, or philanthropy;
- Experience or interest in issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, or financial reporting, especially nonprofit finance.
TDC believes that a team with diverse experiences and backgrounds generates richer discussions and more nuanced thinking, and strives to be an inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcome and respected. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively encourage applications from those whose identities reflect the diversity of the constituents our clients seek to serve, and whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in nonprofit management.
To be considered for the position, applicants should submit a resume to email@example.com along with a cover letter that details your interest in TDC and describes how your experience and education align with the qualifications outlined above. Application materials must be received by August 28; resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
TDC is a leading management consulting and research firm that works across the nonprofit sector. Guided by our clients’ missions, informed by market realities, and grounded in financial best practices, we work with clients to help them lay out integrated programmatic, organizational, and financial strategies. In addition, TDC works with funders and donors to create philanthropic strategies that support their visions for meaningful impact. Our work with both nonprofit organizations and funders lends our firm a well-informed, multidimensional viewpoint, and allows us to make impact individually at the nonprofit level and sector-wide through our work with funders.
Based in Boston, TDC has a staff of sixteen who work with clients nationally. Our consultants bring a wealth of experience from the nonprofit and social sectors, and are skilled in organizational planning, data and financial analysis, program development and evaluation, and operational design. We possess a strong track record in facilitating highly complex strategic business planning and organizational change processes for hundreds of organizations.