Location: Brookline, MA
Employment Type: Part-time
Application Deadline: October 31, 2020
Start Date: November 15, 2020
Status: This is a benefits-eligible part-time position
The Brookline Community Foundation’s (BCF) mission is to create opportunity and promote equity through the transformative power of giving. With roots dating back to the late 19thcentury, BCF spotlights community needs, inspires philanthropy, and awards strategic grants to create a better Brookline for all. Since 1999, BCF has granted more than $5.7 million to more than 120 nonprofit organizations located in or serving Brookline. BCF is a dynamic organization poised for growth because of a dedicated small staff team and a committed Board of Trustees. The Associate, Development & Operations position will have a direct impact in all aspects of the organization. BCF is a dynamic and friendly environment, where impact, professional growth, and work/life balance are valued.
At a moment of institutional renewal and transition, BCF is looking for an Associate, Development &
Operations (Associate) to join our small and growing team committed to creating a more vibrant,
engaged and equitable Brookline. The Associate will help strengthen and streamline our systems,
operations and processes, build and maintain a stronger base for the implementation of our vision
and mission, and foster closer alignment between our internal processes and our external goals.
You will be responsible for coordinating the Foundation’s administrative, financial and operational
functions by accurately maintaining constituent data, processing financial transactions, and
administering and maintaining a welcoming and organized office environment for all building and
grounds operated by BCF. The successful candidate is an organized self-starter and team player
who demonstrates the ability to work in an environment requiring creativity in the day-to-day.
Flexibility, collaboration and empathy are essential. This position reports to the Executive Director.
The Associate provides org-wide operational support, with reaching impact across
outlined below: Operations, Development & Donor Communications, and Finance & Reporting.
● Serve as first point of contact for in-person, online, telephone and mail/e-mail inquiries to
welcome and assist community members with general information or connect to staff.
● Manage front desk, office-wide resources and supplies, and general office operations.
○ Manage shared office equipment (phone system, main copier, postage machine,
laptops); coordinate services and repair; train and support staff and tenants on the
use of office equipment, as needed.
○ Ensure that office equipment, software, and supplies are inventoried, maintained,
kept secure, and replaced as needed; troubleshoot day-to-day problems with
hardware, software, and telecommunications equipment and services, following up
with vendor technical support as required.
○ Manage and maintain shared spaces and supplies: orderliness of meeting rooms,
kitchen, supply storage; inventory and ordering of office supplies.
● Sort, distribute and send mail; handle courier requests.
● Recommend, document, and follow internal processes and practices; ensure staff and
tenants also do the same.
● Coordinate logistics, materials, meeting spaces/room set-up, and follow-up for internal and
external meetings (e.g. Board and donor meetings).
● Additional administrative and office management duties as needed.
Development & Donor Communications
● Ensure accurate and timely review, posting and processing of gifts including pledges, stock
● Work closely with Donor Services Manager to ensure accurate and timely processing of gift
acknowledgments, thank you letters and other donors communications.
● Maintain mail and email distribution lists current, including contact information for donors,
grantees, board, and general foundation contacts.
● Assist with donor and community events, as needed.
● Help maintain the quality of our data records.
Finance & Reporting
● Work with the Finance Director to oversee vendor work.
● Prepare bank deposits.
● Support the management of building/tenant relationships.
Experience, Abilities & Skills
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and collaboration.
organized, can manage multiple projects, work independently while meeting multiple concurrent deadlines, enjoy working with team input, have a sense of humor and are adaptable to changing contexts. They also exhibit the following:
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
● Dedication to the mission of BCF.
● Process-orientation with exceptional abilities in attention to detail, accuracy, organizing, time management, managing multiple tasks, and setting priorities.
● Computer proficiency and comfort with learning, implementing and teaching use of technology.
● Interest in finding operational efficiencies and proactively identifying, analyzing and solving problems.
● Great communication and interpersonal skills to engage/work with diverse staff and external constituents at all levels.
● Proficiency in Google applications (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets) and Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, PowerPoint).
● Possess a strict sense of confidentiality, discretion and respect for information privacy.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this part-time role is $25,000 ($24.04/hour), with an expectation of 20 hours per week. BCF offers: employer-sponsored health and dental; 10 days of PTO (increases with tenure); 12 paid holidays; and a 403(b) match after 90 days.
The vast majority of work will be done onsite at BCF’s office located in Brookline, MA. We are committed to creating a safe and healthy workplace for staff and tenants, and have established practices for social distancing. The person who fills this role will have the flexibility to create their own schedule Monday - Friday (generally between 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.).
Affirmative Action Employer
BCF encourages applications from all qualified candidates without regard to race, creed, color, religion or belief, gender identity, sex, age, sexual orientation, national, social or ethnic origin, disability, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, veteran status, genetic or family history, or any other characteristic or status protected by law.
To Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Development & Operations Associate” by October 31, 2020.
Updated October 2020