The MicroLoan Foundation (MLF) is an international development organization that reduces poverty and inequality, and empowers women, by providing financial literacy training, business mentoring, and microfinance services to impoverished women living in remote rural areas in sub-Saharan African countries. MLF operates a network of ~30 branch office locations in Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Since 2002, MLF has provided over 240,000 women with training and loan capital to start their own businesses. As a result, an estimated 950,000 children in their care have been given the chance of an education and the opportunity of a better future, enabling MLF to positively impact more than 1.2 million people.
MicroLoan Foundation USA, (MLF USA) is the US-based arm of MLF, with the primary focus of raising awareness and funding for MLF operations in Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
Board Member Position and Responsibilities:
As a member of the Board of Directors of the MicroLoan Foundation USA, (MLF USA) you will bring your expertise to assist MLF USA in scaling operations to the national level.
- Be an ambassador and represent MLF USA's values within the larger community and within business/professional circles.
- Actively support and promote MLF USA’s mission, vision, strategic goals and policy positions.
- Regularly post MLF USA content and updates on social media (e.g., LinkedIn, Twitter, FaceBook, Instagram) to raise awareness.
- Be willing to fundraise on behalf of MLF USA, as well as introduce MLF USA to your circle of friends, family and professional contacts.
- Recognize that as a Board member you will be accountable for the financial stability and future of MLF USA.
- Be comfortable making an annual personal gift to MLF USA.
- Be able to give 5-10 hours of your time per month to work on behalf of MLF USA.
- Attend 2-4 Board meetings per year, ideally in person [meetings are likely to take place in/near Boston or New York].
- Attend monthly operational board calls to review and direct board activities.
MLF USA is managed by a volunteer board of experienced professionals and is led by a Chairman of the Board.
Qualifications and experience requirements:
- MLF USA is seeking Directors who have a passion for our mission of expanding financial literacy and microentrepreneurship in Africa.
- To support our mission of building awareness and raising funds, our ideal profile for additional directors would include some combination of the following:
- Marketing, social media, PR/communication, marketing analytics and/or fundraising to support expanding awareness of MLF’s work and mission, and/or
- Fundraising experience / know-how, and/or
- Personal / professional networks to help broaden awareness and support fundraising.
- Applicants with experience serving on the Board of Directors of a U.S. non-profit and a demonstrated history of effective fundraising preferred.
- Applicants should have 8-10+ years of work experience, preferably in a management role.
- Applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues surrounding financial literacy, microfinance, gender inequality, and international development would be helpful but not a requirement.
- An interest and ability to travel to Malawi / Zambia / Zimbabwe (self-funded) and visit the work on the ground would be a plus.
- Ideally, candidates will be located in the Greater Boston / NE area, but other locations will be considered.