Join an award-winning and growing organization dedicated to improving the lives of military veterans in Massachusetts!
Mission Statement: Veterans Legal Services helps Massachusetts veterans overcome adversity by providing free civil legal aid that honors their service, promotes well-being, and responds to their distinctive needs.
Position overview: The Business Manager and Program Data Analyst is a new position. The person in this role will work with senior management and staff to handle aspects of law firm and non-profit administration. This is a mid-level position that requires both oversight and maintenance of VLS’s infrastructure, in addition to strategic analysis and reporting of data (monitoring and evaluation) to help drive organizational decision-making and provide concrete information to stakeholders.
This position is best suited for an individual who is very comfortable with technology and who has experience with grant reporting/performance metrics, however VLS will train the right candidate. The most competitive candidates will have a can-do attitude, be excited to learn new skills quickly, and be committed to ensuring efficient day-to-day operations with a long-term lens on refining VLS’s infrastructure to promote organizational sustainability. Candidates must be comfortable with a level of ambiguity and dedicated to finding resolutions to challenges – we don’t have all the answers – and you will research, make recommendations on, and implement them!
Modifications due to COVID-19 pandemic: It is anticipated that this position will initially be conducted primarily remotely, but applicants should anticipate at least partial in-office work soon. VLS’s physical office is currently in Boston near North Station.
Primary tasks include but are not limited to:
Business and Financial Management
- Oversee and maintain VLS’s infrastructure
- Modify/develop and implement policies and procedures as needed
- Complete general office management duties
- Maintain accounts payable and receivable
- Conduct bookkeeping and financial reporting, working with external accounting firm
Monitoring and Evaluation/Program Development and Administration
- In conjunction with management, develop and maintain monitoring and evaluation functions that support programming, fundraising, and data-informed decision-making
- Provide strategic assistance on grant applications/reports
- Provide support on VLS’s geographic expansion and remote programming to address program development and workflow challenges
- Be responsible for IT/infrastructure oversight and maintenance, ensuring appropriate permissions levels, on platforms including (currently) Salesforce, S-Fax, SharePoint, Comcast Business VoiceEdge, Form Assembly, QuickBooks Online, G-Suite, Bitdefender, and backup systems
- Maintain software licenses and ensure updates are completed, troubleshoot/resolve any issues, and make appropriate recommendations regarding alternate products
- Attend Salesforce and other trainings to remain informed on platforms utilized
Training and Oversight
- Conduct trainings for new staff and volunteers and provide regular training of all team members regarding technology updates
- Provide oversight and training on cybersecurity initiatives
- Provide oversight, training, and ongoing implementation of WISP and document retention policies
- Conduct onboarding and offboarding of staff and volunteers
- Be responsible for administration of compensation and benefits (payroll, medical insurance, 401(k), disability, paid time off)
Secondary tasks include but are not limited to:
- Assist with preparation of annual budget recommendations, considering infrastructure and training needs
- Assist with completion of annual audit, IRS Form 990, and MA Form PC
- Help maintain Board of Directors manual and provide board support as needed
- Provide oversight of financial accounts in conjunction with senior management
- Assess volunteer program processes and help implement improvements
- Maintain insurance policies and, working with an insurance professional and senior management, ensure VLS maintains prudent coverage
- Maintain hardware technology inventory (laptops, iPads, hotspot, firewall, printers/scanners), troubleshoot/resolve hardware issues, and make recommendations for their useful lives and appropriate budgeting for same
- Work with outside consultants/volunteers periodically to advance organizational goals
- Complete other reasonable tasks dependent on organizational need
- Excitement for VLS’s mission
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to work productively both at home and in the office
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and G-Suite, with ability and excitement to learn additional tools, applications, and technologies
- Passion for training with an approachable demeanor
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy with excellent written and oral communication
- Highly organized, reliable, and flexible with strong multi-tasking and prioritization abilities
- Self-starter with a can-do attitude who works well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to take ownership over tasks and work diligently to follow through
- Professionalism and strict adherence to client confidentiality
- Courteous demeanor with both excellent judgment and a strong sense of humor
- Sensitivity to the circumstances of the veterans VLS serves
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals
- Willingness to participate as part of a team effort and assist with reasonable tasks as needed in fulfillment of VLS’s mission
- A CORI check will be required for this position
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience working at a non-profit organization or law office
- High level of comfort with data analysis and passion for using data
- Experience with Salesforce and other relevant technology platforms
- Performance metrics/monitoring and evaluation experience
- Customer service experience
Compensation and Culture: The Business Manager and Program Data Analyst salary is $60,000 annually. Benefits offered include health insurance, short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, generous sick, personal, vacation, and holiday schedule, 401K employer match, partial phone reimbursement, pre-tax MBTA pass program, and continuing education opportunities.
VLS also offers a congenial working environment with a flexible culture, dedicated to promoting work/life balance and well-being for its team members who have dedicated their careers to improving the lives of veterans.
Diversity and Inclusion: Veterans Legal Services highly values diversity and encourages applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals who identify as people of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Instructions: Interested candidates should submit a resumé and cover letter to BusinessMgrPosition@veteranslegalservices.org. VLS is unable to respond to phone or social media inquiries. Applications will be considered until the position is filled, however VLS prefers to fill the position by August 31, 2021.