Compass is an innovative, mission-driven organization that supports families with low incomes to save for their future and access greater economic opportunity. We believe in our clients and in their ability to achieve their goals and dreams. We operate high-quality financial coaching and savings programs, and pursue opportunities to shape the national approach to poverty through practice and policy change. Compass is also an emerging leader in a national effort to leverage housing assistance as a platform for economic mobility. We are looking for people who want to be part of taking our programs and our impact to the next level.
For more information, please visit us on our website, www.compassworkingcapital.org
About the Job
The Workforce and Career Development Manager is a new role at Compass focused on helping the organization build its capacity to provide employment and career development supports and opportunities for our clients and partners. The manager will develop partnerships, resources, and referrals systems to connect clients with employment and training resources and employment leads. They will develop and deliver workforce development trainings and support Compass’ team of Financial Coaches to build their capacity around career-building.
Some of the specific functions that will be required in this role include but are not limited to identifying and connecting with community resources, employer referral pipelines, and other career services collaboratives; providing staff training activities and workshops; and data management and reporting. The manager will also work closely with our team of Financial Coaches to identify and address barriers to employment that clients may be facing. This position is designed to work holistically with clients and coaches to identify strengths and problem solve around challenges toward promoting economic mobility.
All staff at Compass embody our values
Believe in People: At Compass, we have a fundamental belief in all clients and their ability to achieve their goals and dreams. Our unique approach to coaching fosters a culture of aspiration, dignity, and hope.
Pursue Excellence: We hold ourselves to the highest professional and ethical standards in every aspect of our work, and we strive to always do better.
Go Further Together: Our team builds trust, respects each other, and acts with care and empathy. We believe in harnessing our strengths to find joy in what we do and in doing this work as a team, and to bring out the best in each other.
Community Outreach and Training
- Identify and develop partnerships with One Stop Career centers and other career development collaboratives around New England.
- Conduct outreach to employers to develop on-the-job training and/or direct job placement sites for clients; maintain cooperative relationships with employers, academic and vocational training institutions; identify appropriate job placement/training opportunities for clients; maintain understanding of local job market and opportunities to assist in providing guidance to clients.
- Assist in the creation of career development training materials and resources for clients and partners
- Coordinate and lead career services workshop programming, including outreach, implementation, and evaluation of the workshops.
- Conduct workshops, orientations, or other training and outreach activities for clients.
Capacity Building and Partnership with Financial Coaches
- Serve as a specialist resource for staff on issues related to employment and career planning.
- Support Financial Coaches to integrate and strengthen employment and career-building goal setting into their coaching practices with clients.
- Provide training to Financial Coaches around workforce development and employment opportunities for clients.
- Support coaches in assessing client’s education, work experience, skills, and job interest and matching them to available employment, training, or other opportunities/services.
- Supporting coaches in identifying challenges or barriers that might hinder employability, and assist coaches in identifying services, supports, or referrals to community resources.
Qualifications and Skills
- Commitment to Compass’ mission and values with a passion for working with families with low incomes
- Cultural humility. Openness to and respect for others’ cultures, identities, and lived experiences.
- Prior experience with workshop facilitation, as well as curriculum development and delivery
- Strong interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to establish and build strong, trusting partnerships with clients.
- 5-8 years of work experience; 3-5 years of work experience in related financial coaching and/or workforce and career development field
- Prior experience working with low-income families and communities
- Proficiency in Spanish.
This job description is not intended to provide a comprehensive listing of all duties or responsibilities. Job duties and responsibilities may change at any time based on coaching methods and program partners.
Healthcare: medical, dental, vision
Retirement plan 401(k) & match
Life insurance & disability Insurance
Paid time off
Paid parental leave
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
Professional development & certification
Pre-tax commuter benefits
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Discounted shopping and entertainment
Voluntary pet insurance and more
This position is based in Boston, MA. Required hours could include a combination of workday, evening, and weekend hours to accommodate the needs of our clients. Occasional travel to other Compass offices (Lynn, MA) and other communities may be required.
Compass is an equal opportunity employer and committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.