Chief Philanthropy Officer
Care New England Health System
Care New England Health System (CNE) – a trusted regional healthcare organization providing comprehensive, world-class clinical care, advancing medical research, and attracting the nation’s top specialty-trained physicians – seeks an accomplished and visionary fundraising leader to take its philanthropy program to the next level of operational excellence. Reporting to CNE President/CEO and serving as a member of the system’s senior leadership team, the selected candidate will design, implement, and align successful fundraising strategies across the system.
This is an exciting career opportunity to advance the philanthropic culture of a healthcare system with clinically exceptional organizations that enjoy strong brand recognition, most of which serve as major teaching affiliates for Brown University’s Warren Alpert Medical School.
· Butler Hospital - internationally renowned provider specializing in psychiatric, movement, and memory disorders; one of the nation’s leaders in brain science research.
· Kent Hospital - 359-bed acute care hospital with full array of clinical services. Points of distinction include cardiovascular care in affiliation with Brigham and Women’s Hospital; and a high-performing Emergency Department (second largest in RI with 70,000 visits annually), ranked 10th nationally in patient satisfaction.
· The Providence Center – community-based behavioral health organization offering more than 60 programs and wraparound services for mental health and addiction treatment.
· Women & Infants Hospital (WIH) - one of the nation’s leading specialty hospitals for women and newborns. The ninth largest stand-alone obstetrical service in the country (largest in New England) WIH has garnered numerous recognitions for its outstanding clinical care, including high marks from U.S. News and World Report and Leapfrog. WIH offers an array of women’s health programs in addition to those in Ob/Gyn, and has one of the nation’s largest single-family room NICU.
· VNA of Care New England - certified visiting nurse, home health and hospice provider named a “Top Agency” by Home Care Elite, which recognizes top performing home health agencies in the U.S.
Position Summary: The Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) will develop and lead a comprehensive fundraising program serving CNE’s multiple organizational entities. Employing a strategic approach to assessing and strengthening current infrastructure and programs, the CPO will develop areas of highest potential including grateful patient/family fundraising, donor pipeline building, and capital campaign planning and implementation. The CPO leads a team of front-line development officers assigned to each CNE organization, and a centralized development operation. As the system’s lead fundraiser, the CPO will help build an organization-wide culture of philanthropy, providing strategic counsel to administrative and volunteer leadership (e.g. operating unit President/COOs, fundraising foundations, boards, committees, and volunteer-run auxiliary programs). Additionally s/he will personally manage a prospect portfolio of six- to eight-figure donors.
Qualifications: 20+ years’ progressively responsible fundraising experience; 10+ years’ management experience, preferably in a healthcare setting with exposure to grateful patient programs and capital campaigns; solid record of performance in major/planned giving with six- to seven-figure gifts; and experience cultivating a best practice environment employing fundraising “moves management.” BA/BS degree required; Master’s preferred.