The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
Hosted by Access Now, RightsCon is the world’s leading summit on human rights in the digital age. It’s where the world’s human rights experts, business leaders, technologists, engineers, investors, activists, and government representatives come together to share ideas, build strategies, showcase new technologies, and create tomorrow’s internet. It is an energizing reminder of the existence of a powerful global digital rights movement that is determined to defend human rights and keep the internet open and free.
About this role
The Communications and Engagement Lead is the space within the RightsCon Team for someone with a passion for building and mobilizing communities. Top candidates will be familiar with the tools and tactics needed to drive engagement across social media, newsletters, media, and web channels for a global, multidisciplinary network of 18,000+. As a top candidate, you should be a creative and empathetic communicator, as well as a thoughtful, goal-oriented planner who doesn’t mind crunching a few numbers to track outcomes. You should also be a strong collaborator with the ability to work across regions, teams, and issue areas. Most importantly, you will have a finely-tuned attention to detail, a commitment to excellence, a strong sense of team spirit, and the ability to own and manage multiple projects at once. This role is 70% execution/30% strategy, and is suited for people who have demonstrable experience increasing an organization’s impact through communications. This position reports through the RightsCon Director, and works closely with the Multimedia and Design Lead, as well as other members of the RightsCon Team.
What You Will Do
- Design, manage, and, alongside the Community Support Manager, implement an annual communications and engagement strategic plan
- Project-manage all communications and engagement deliverables
- Draft and edit communications materials, including blog posts and content for the website
- Coordinate with Multimedia and Design Lead to identify needs for new or updated multimedia assets
- Create a social media calendar and maintain a regular publishing schedule
- Develop resources to ensure communications alignment across team, such as a messaging guide
- Use current and historic data sources to further audience segmentation and reach
- Develop clear indicators of growth, impact, and success to measure performance
- Work with the RightsCon team to identify new avenues for engagement, outside of the annual event
- Attend RightsCon management team meetings and lead weekly communications meetings
- Project manage all communications required for each primary milestone in the event cycle, including a Call for Proposals kick-off, registration launch, etc.
- Design and coordinate a comprehensive content drafting and deployment schedule for the five-day event that maximizes engagement rates
- Design a press outreach and engagement strategy, prepare press kit, and draft press communications
What You Will Bring
- Familiarity with developments in technology and its impact on human rights
- Three to five years of experience using communications tools to expand engagement in a network, community, or event
- Experience managing a CRM or comparable community contact database and leveraging newsletter content to drive sign-ups and build retention
- Knowledge of platform-native analytics tools, and the ability to translate analytics to meaningful learnings to adapt strategies and deepen impact
- Fluency in English with meticulous attention to grammar and style, and the ability to edit your own work
- Strong persuasive writing skills and the ability to distill complex issues into simple, compelling messages
- Strong internal and external communication skills, paired with cultural sensitivity and passion for human rights issues
- Excitement about continuous learning, trying new things, and being a member of a team
- Ability to work in fast-paced environments, respond quickly to breaking news items, and effectively balance competing priorities
This is a full-time position, ideally based in Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Toronto (CAN), Tunis, or Washington, DC, with some flexibility for remote work locations. At this time Access Now Team Members are working hybrid remote schedules, with a likely return to existing offices in 2022. The successful candidate must have the legal right-to-work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation in line with skills and experience, and benefits packages that align with our localities. Initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated between $5,800-$6,250 USD gross monthly (if filled in the US), and will be determined by depth of experience and preparation. Benefits for this specific role, if filled within the US, include paid healthcare - medical, dental, and vision insurance - as well as access to a 401k retirement savings program match. If filled in one of the other locations listed above, salary and benefits will align to the corresponding region accordingly. While specific compensation, insurance, and other benefits vary by region, all Access Now Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance...including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Application link: https://accessnow.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=97&source=aWQ9NDg%3D