Womanshelter Companeras is seeking an experienced Communications Coordinator with a passion for storytelling, inclusion, and social change. This is a new position within our organization and offers an incredible opportunity to use your time, energy and talent to build an inspiring communications program that will help change lives. Using skills in writing, marketing and social media, we are looking for a candidate who can position our organization as a thought leader, in turn growing our ability to better serve communities affected by domestic violence. We are actively seeking to increase our visibility in order to deepen our programmatic impact, increase financial resources to support our services, and engage our community in reducing domestic violence.
Womanshelter/Compañeras is dedicated to assisting, supporting, and empowering those whose lives are affected by battering and abuse. Founded in 1980 as a grassroots collective, the organization has sheltered more than 10,000 women and children, and assisted another 20,000+ women, children and men through community-based programs in and around Hampden and Hampshire counties.
Objectives of this Role:
● Assist in the implementation of the Womanshelter’s newly articulated brand strategy
● Ensure that all communications efforts serve Womanshelter's mission, programmatic goals and brand strategy
● Raise public awareness and knowledge of domestic violence and of Womanshelter’s services through increased annual communications campaigns
● Work with the Executive Director and Director of Development to develop and maintain an external communications plan; set objectives; organize and implement communications and public awareness campaign
● Support and help strengthen Womanshelter's use of development and program data in communications and messaging
● Create original content aligned with the organization's brand, mission, and communication objectives
● Communicate campaign calendars, timelines, and deliverables to the rest of the organization
● Maintain social media presence; execute social media campaigns and build online followings
● Maintain and execute direct mail campaigns
● Maintain and execute email campaigns
● Identify media outlets and potential media partners; build and maintain media contact lists
● Write and distribute press releases and calendar listings
● Maintain and update website
● Maintain an inventory of communications collaterals ensuring all print materials are current and accurate; coordinate the creation of new materials as needed
● Identify and work with design and marketing vendors and consultants, as needed
● 1-3 years of experience as a communications coordinator or similar role
● Experience and comfort with learning, troubleshooting and employing software tools
● Knowledge of traditional and digital communications, content creation, and social media marketing
● Experience with marketing research using data analytics
● Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills
● Proficiency in full Microsoft Office suite, especially with Excel and PowerPoint
● Proficiency in Google Drive and Google Docs
● Experience with securing cost estimates and monitoring and tracking communication expenses
● Experience in WordPress
● Experience in email platforms such as Constant Contact and Mailchimp
● Experience with telecommuting platforms such as Zoom and Google Hangouts
● Familiarity with content management systems (CMS) and customer relationship management (CRM) tools and relational databases
● Working knowledge of HTML
● Working knowledge of design software
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred. Candidates with non-traditional educational pathways and commensurate life/work experience considered.
Womanshelter values self-care and work-life balance. Work Hours: 40 hours per week. Flexible but relatively predictable schedule that can include work-from-home hours; occasional evenings in the case of special events or Board committee meetings.
This position is exempt from the wage and overtime provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. Compensation is commensurate with experience and competitive in the field; generous benefits package, including health, dental, and vision coverage and employer contribution to retirement fund.
Submit cover letter and resume in one PDF to Margie A. Quinones Ortiz, firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered in the first round of applicants, please submit your materials by June 10th. We will review applications submitted after this date only if we have not found a viable candidate.
Womanshelter is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to values of inclusion, empowerment, and social justice. As a multicultural organization, we actively encourage applicants who represent the broadest range of diversity. Bilingual candidates and candidates with experience in domestic violence are encouraged to apply. AA/EOE/ADA