May 31, 2022
Veterans Legal Services Job Posting
Communications & Development Director Position
Join an award-winning, growing, and mission-driven legal aid organization dedicated to improving the lives of military veterans through civil legal services!
The Communications & Development Director executes a communications and development strategy to increase the visibility of Veterans Legal Services (VLS) and secure funding from diverse sources to ensure sustainability of programs. VLS’s current annual budget is approximately $1.3 million. The Communications & Development Director is supervised by VLS’s Co-Executive Director & Chief of Operations.
Diversity and Inclusion:
VLS believes diversity strengthens the organization and encourages applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals who identify as people of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Culture:
The Communications & Development Director position is a 35-40 hour per week position with a salary range of $75,000 - $83,000 annually, dependent on experience. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, short-term disability insurance, long-term disability insurance, state Paid Family Medical Leave contributions, generous sick, personal, vacation, and holiday schedule (including paid time off between Christmas Eve and New Year’s!), 401K employer match, partial phone reimbursement, pre-tax MBTA pass program, and continuing education opportunities.
VLS also offers a congenial working environment with a flexible culture, committed to promoting work/life balance and well-being for its team members who have dedicated their careers to improving the lives of veterans.
The health of VLS team members and the veterans we serve is a top priority. VLS follows CDC and local public health guidance. VLS is in the process of developing further COVID-19 policies. It is anticipated that up-to-date vaccination will be required for employees, including for this position, absent a legally required exemption.
VLS team members are currently working primarily remotely, but VLS anticipates requiring partial in-person office work in early summer 2022. This position offers a hybrid work arrangement. Applicants should anticipate approximately 1-2 in-office days weekly and to come to the office as needed for meetings or other tasks. VLS has a brand-new office that is located near North Station in Boston, convenient to the orange line, green line, and commuter rail. While this is not a fully remote position, VLS strives to balance the convenience of remote work with the benefits of coming together to promote team cohesion. Depending on the needs of the organization, VLS may modify this policy in the future.
Primary tasks include but are not limited to:
- Maintain and execute a communications and development strategy and plan considering multiple audiences, including prospective and current donors, volunteer attorneys and law students, veteran clients, community partners, government agencies/officials, and stakeholders;
- Make recommendations for themes and speakers for both virtual and physical events, including informational sessions for donor prospects, donor stewardship events, annual gala/fundraising event, etc.;
- Complete grant applications and reports and maintain detailed calendar and records;
- Identify individuals and entities to build relationships with (for both friend and fund-raising) and prepare executive director(s) and board members for meetings;
- Solicit donations and contributions from diverse sources;
- Ensure appropriate acknowledgment of all contributions;
- Maintain rigorous records of all solicitations, contributions, and acknowledgments;
- Create marketing materials such as VLS Snapshot, case studies, etc.;
- Maintain website;
- Develop and post social media content;
- Draft annual reports, newsletters, and other similar communications;
- Provide board support relative to development, e.g., providing support to individual board members contacting donors for solicitation or stewardship;
- Identify, perform due diligence on, and manage development-related vendors and technology platforms (e.g., virtual event platforms, merchant services);
- Collaborate with other team members to identify significant case victories or other activities to be highlighted, in addition to providing support around performance metrics.
Secondary tasks include but are not limited to:
- Occasionally visit clinic/community sites, such as homeless shelters and Dept. of Veterans Affairs hospitals in support of marketing efforts (e.g. photography shoots);
- Engage and possibly supervise volunteer(s) or consultants;
- Perform own administrative tasks;
- Represent VLS at relevant events, which may include occasional evening work.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of development experience;
- Demonstrated experience working as part of a team effort in fulfillment of a mission;
- Professional and highly ethical;
- Highly organized, reliable, and flexible with strong multi-tasking/prioritization abilities;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to effectively represent the organization to prospects and donors, provide meaningful information that will encourage contributions, and represent VLS’s best interests;
- Significant grant application and report writing experience;
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate, solicit, and close donations from diverse sources including, but not limited to, private foundations, government, corporations, and individuals;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills;
- Experience with website design, content development, and maintenance;
- Experience with social media marketing;
- Experience with flyer/newsletter/other marketing material development;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and G-Suite, with ability and willingness to learn additional online tools, applications, and technologies;
- Self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude who works well independently as well as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, including clients, law students, volunteers, attorneys, board members, and funders;
- Sensitivity to the circumstances of VLS’s client population and the challenges inherent in legal aid work;
- Excitement for VLS’s mission and commitment to fulfill position responsibilities in accordance with VLS’s strategic plan;
- Successful completion of a background check.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Familiarity with civil legal aid;
- Experience with copywriting and editing;
- Experience with graphic design;
- Experience with video production/editing;
- Public relations experience;
- Experience with Salesforce, Zoom, Wix, Vertical Response or other email marketing platform, and merchant services (credit card processing platforms).
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resumé to DevelopmentPosition@veteranslegalservices.org. VLS is unable to respond to phone or social media inquiries. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.