POSITION DESCRIPTION: Communications Manager Exempt
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Strong Women, Strong Girls is seeking a full-time Communications Manager to conduct communications, marketing and PR activities on behalf of the organization. This position will report to the Managing Director and work directly with the CEO and Directors Team to identify, build, and execute communications strategy for the entire organization, including both Boston and Pittsburgh SWSG locations.
Candidates should be based in either Boston or Pittsburgh, be willing to travel to the opposite city 2-5 times annually, and be willing to travel locally within the work day for content gathering or stakeholder meetings. Evening and/or weekend work will be required 1-3 days per month.
• Develop, write and edit marketing and communications materials, including press releases, blog posts and social media content, as well as some print content
• Manage SWSG’s website in Wordpress, including all content needs and sourcing web development needs when necessary
• Manage 5 primary social media accounts (2 Boston, 2 Pittsburgh, 1 National), including content promotion and follower interactions
• Manage Mailchimp account, including creating email campaigns for all organizational needs, including program recruitment, event registration, and fundraising
• Support the fundraising & development team with all communications needs surrounding fundraising campaigns throughout the year
• Support team members in event promotion throughout the year, including registration page creation and marketing
• Support SWSG’s program team with materials creation for programmatic needs, including editing and formatting curriculum documents and recruitment materials creation
• Track analytics and create reports detailing successes and failures of communications campaigns
• Ensure that all communications and marketing material aligns with brand standards
• Maintain digital media archives including photos and videos
• Liaise with the board Communications Committee, as well as organizational leadership, to develop and execute on an annual communications strategy
• Attend SWSG events to gather content that reflects the scope of SWSG’s program offerings
• Respond to media inquiries and perform media outreach to achieve brand placement in
• Develop and execute on escalation protocols for managing communication crises, should they arise
• Additional responsibilities as assigned
• An unwavering commitment to the mission of Strong Women, Strong Girls
• Familiarity with and/or experience working in the nonprofit sector and/or youth development/mentoring organizations is a plus
• Bachelor’s Degree plus 2 years prior experience in a communications or marketing role (or equivalent experience)
• Understanding of the best practices of main social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc
• Understanding of communications, public relations and marketing best practices
• Exceptional writing skills and ability to compose engaging and accurate content
• Graphic design experience preferred
• Strong communicator who works well independently and with a team
• Superior time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts
• Ability to work independently, take initiative, and execute tasks with minimal supervision
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, and Canva
• Knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Illustrator strongly preferred
• Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Commensurate w/ experience & geographic market (Include salary requirements in application)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
SWSG is a multi-generational mentoring organization dedicated to building relationships between professional women, college women, and elementary school girls. Strong Women, Strong Girls provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed as received. Applications consist of a cover letter describing the candidate’s interest and qualifications and listing salary requirements, and a resume (in Word or PDF format) emailed to email@example.com. Please enter your first name, last name and “Communications Manager” in the subject line. OPTIONAL: Applications may include a published writing sample, if desired.