Communications and Outreach Manager
Are you passionate about the issues Asian American and Pacific Islanders navigate every day? Would you like a front row seat to how Massachusetts state legislators and appointed commissioners address AAPI issues? Do you want Massachusetts AAPI residents to have useful and up-to-date resources for their success?
Apply to become the Communications & Outreach Manager for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Asian American and Pacific Islanders Commission! (AAPI Commission). From drafting press releases to updating the website and social media, this is an excellent position for an early career professional to grow their communications and marketing skills. At the same time, as a member of a small staff, the C & O Manager will have an opportunity to really learn the workings of the Commission and the role of the state legislature in serving the needs of the AAPI community in Massachusetts.
About this role:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications and Outreach Manager’s (“C & O Manager”) has an opportunity to ensure that the full diversity of AAPI voices in Massachusetts are heard. In finding, crafting, and sharing the stories of this rich community, the C & O Manager will elevate the understanding of AAPI talents and needs within state government and for the public. The C & O Manager will be essential to strengthening Commission's brand through marketing and outreach. By building greater awareness of its work, the Commission can ensure that the community has easy access to information, resources, and leaders that can make a difference for AAPI residents building lives in Massachusetts. The Commission is a small staff that works closely together and hand-in-hand with the Commissioners. The C & O Manager will have the assistance of and will supervise an intern.
Roles and Responsibilities
● Collaborate with the Commissioners to create and implement an accessible method for community members to contact the Commission with questions and needs.
● Ensure that the AAPIC website has accurate information on service providers for community members seeking health, social services, education information, and other assistance.
● Identify and develop partnership opportunities through listening sessions.
● Manage the development of targeted contact lists and proactively seek to build relationships.
● Contribute to AAPIC's media outreach efforts, including drafting press releases, pitching stories, and developing talking points
● Coordinate annual report production, ensuring participation across AAPIC’s community.
● Seek and share compelling stories that demonstrate AAPIC's mission.
● Support the planning and marketing of AAPIC events.
● Prepare presentations and branding materials for Executive Director or Commissioners representing the Commission at public events.
● Review and edit all materials sent to Commissioners, Partners, and External Collaborators.
Website and Social Media
● Create and maintain multiple content channels, including the agency's website, intranet, newsletter(s), social media channels, and other communication and collateral marketing materials.
● Manage AAPIC's website and ensure that the website has information in multiple Asian languages to reach various communities.
● Track analytics to measure communications' channel performance.
● Assist with technical issues as needed.
● Maintain and update AAPIC Branding Guidelines to strengthen the presence and position with internal and external audiences.
Open Meeting Law requirements
● Ensure that minutes are captured at AAPIC meetings and that AAPIC meeting information, minutes, and agenda are uploaded to the website according to OML requirements and timelines.
Communications and Outreach Plan
● Prepare an annual Communication and Outreach plan with SMART Goals to increase branding awareness and engagement from all stakeholders.
● Support the Anti-Asian hate Advisory group and the Arts Subcommittee with their annual plans.
No one candidate will possess every quality or qualification for this position. The Commission welcomes candidates with a combination of expertise and both work and lived experience that can advance the mission. Candidates should enjoy the variety of a day that can include meeting senior government leaders on Beacon Hill and ensuring the name tags for an event are correct. The successful candidate will have many of the following qualifications:
● Passion for the AAPIC mission! Cultural competency, lived experience, language proficiency relevant to the AAPIC community
● Eagerness to fully commit to and demonstrate understanding of racial equity, diversity, and inclusion work
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
● Demonstrated experience in communications, digital media, and/or related field
● Proven success in developing or managing digital outlets for an organization
● Excellent writing and editing skills
● Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to develop productive working relationships across a small team, diverse community, and with state agencies and officials
● Knowledge of Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML/CSS, website management on WordPress, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), Mailchimp
● Ability to leverage technology and effectively use social media platforms and applications; offer technical support to staff with computer hardware/software
● Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in pdf format. Title your resume with your last name and resume, title your cover letter with your last name and cover.
● Please include the following subject line: Communications and Outreach Manager Applicant.
● The first consideration will be given to applications received by July 25, 2022.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $50,000 to $60,000 salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive Commonwealth of Massachusetts benefits package subject to their requirements. Full-time (37.5 hours) flexible schedule and remote-friendly.
This position includes responsibility for and requires the ability to work flexible hours, including evening and weekend events, meetings, and activities, and involves local in-state periodic travel.
Selected candidate offer is contingent on satisfactory reference checks, including a CORI background investigation and an employment eligibility verification. This process can take up to 4 weeks after the selection process is completed
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the employee's activities, duties, or responsibilities for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change with or without notice.
**AAPIC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employees and applicants for employment are afforded equal opportunity in every area of hiring and employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, age, criminal record (inquiries only), handicap (disability), mental illness, retaliation, sexual harassment, sexual orientation, genetics, active military, and any other legally protected characteristic.
***AAPIC embraces and celebrates a spirit of inclusion and diversity, and reasonable accommodations and modifications will be made whenever possible.
More about the Commission:
The Asian American and Pacific Islanders Commission represents the interests of Asian Americans and Pacific islanders throughout the Commonwealth and is dedicated to advocacy on behalf of AAPI throughout Massachusetts. The 21 Commissioners of the AAPI Commission, appointed by the constitutional state officers, make up this governing body.
Communications & Outreach Manager
Asian American & Pacific Islanders Commission
Job Title: Communications & Outreach Manager
Job Search Ends:
September 1st, 2022