We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can’t happen without it.
STATUS: Temporary, August 24, 2020 – December 4th (15-week commitment)
SALARY: $18/Hour 675 per week
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY URGED TO APPLY
The Community Ambassador functions as a member of the Development staff of United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley. With a team of United Way staff and volunteers, Community Ambassadors support programs and projects that deeply engage donors and volunteers in an effort to scale United Way's work. The Community Ambassador will support the Engagement team with implementing corporate volunteer projects, United Way’s Signature Events, and year-round engagement opportunities. The candidate will work closely with donors, volunteers, and community organizations.
Individuals who will thrive in and enjoy this position will possess the following qualities:
- Be a fast learner
- Comfortable with meetings, presentations, and conversations via online platforms (Zoom, Webex, Teams, etc.)
- Strong communication skills (via email, phone, and virtual platforms)
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility and ability to pivot
- Interest in analytics/using Excel on a consistent basis
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
1. Coordinate processes within assigned corporate accounts and/or community volunteer initiatives, including: creating corporate volunteer project timelines, ordering and delivering materials, hosting volunteer projects via online platforms, reporting and tracking results, collecting volunteer details, and other administrative duties.
Inform United Way staff of progress, challenges, and opportunities throughout the event.
2. Using skills learned during professional training, develop and execute specific strategies for maximizing performance in each assigned project, with a primary focus on increasing the number of volunteers engaged via recruitment of new volunteers, converting volunteers to donors, and retaining previous volunteers.
3. Assist with other programs run by the Volunteer Engagement Team, including but not limited to our Board Connection program and Emerging Leaders Society.
4. Perform analytics using Excel to track performance and progress of programs and events
- Bachelor's Degree preferred; comparable experience considered.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Professional fund-raising or sales experience preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of the importance of administrative tasks and willingness to complete those tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, specifically Excel and Word.
- Attendance at professional training session during the week of August 24, 2020
- Applicants must have access to a car.
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
TO APPLY QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley
51 Sleeper Street, Boston, MA 02210. Fax: 617/624-9114 or
For information on additional opportunities, please access our Web Site at
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals
who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.