ABOUT ROOT CAUSE
Root Cause (www.rootcause.org) is a nonprofit consulting team that helps drive effective and enduring social change. Our mission is to empower communities to build, improve, and sustain social change initiatives that enable all people to thrive. Since 2004, we’ve helped over 400 nonprofits, public agencies, philanthropists, and other funders achieve their goals while advancing racial and economic equity and justice.
Root Cause has been called “a catalyst for the nonprofit sector,” “suited for groups really committed to change,” and “purpose-driven consultants.” (We have also been called “amazing humans,” —we’re pretty proud of that one!) Learn more about our team, our values as an organization, how we work together, our compensation and benefits strucutre, and our committment to racial & economic equity and social justice on our careers page.
The Manager is a critical member of the Root Cause project team, driving work, anticipating roadblocks, adjusting timelines, suggesting solutions — and in general, making sure all work, communications, and team members are on track. Through project work, the Manager develops expertise in one or more of Root Cause’s key social issue areas or service lines and begins to contribute to Business Development and Marketing & Communications efforts. The Manager may also take on an organizational responsibility at Root Cause, such as leading an internal Root Cause project or operational function.
- Project Management: Owns and leads all project management functions; manages meetings and adjusts project work plan to ensure the project meets all milestones and accomplishes agreed-upon objectives.
- Internal & External Communications: Engages in ongoing communication and coordination with clients, as well as with members of the Root Cause team; maintains prompt, professional communications with clients and effectively shares information and deliverables verbally and in writing.
- Research & Analysis: Conducts primary and secondary research to collect qualitative and quantitative data, perform analysis, and develop insights.
- Production of High-Quality Deliverables: Develops and finalizes high-quality deliverables (in Google Suite and/or Microsoft Office).
- Process Expertise: The Manager has a growing skill set in “process expertise,” such as designing, facilitating, and leading working group meetings or other external events and providing coaching and capacity building to clients.
- Supervision: May support the work and professional development of an Intern and/or Associate on the team.
- Organizational leadership: May begin to lead internal Root Cause projects and operational functions (e.g., Harvest time-tracking reporting) and contribute to working towards Root Cause’s strategic goals.
- Business development: Builds and strengthens relationships with clients and/or potential clients over time. Participates in business development opportunities, including proposals and pitch meetings.
- Marketing & communications, including knowledge development: Begins to develop expertise in one or more of Root Cause’s key social issue areas or service lines. Begins contributing knowledge content to Root Cause’s marketing and communications efforts (e.g., field notes, case studies, webinars/podcasts, etc.).
We know that successful team members come to us with a range of educational, work, and life experiences and that how these things come together may look different for each person. We are interested in what each person brings to this work and do not have any educational requirements or expectations for the Manager role. Successful candidates may not have all of the skills and experiences listed below, but will typically have most of them:
- 2-5 years of professional work experience, with a mix of analytical, research, and/or direct service experience
- Excellent project management skills; ability to work with the project lead and team develop and manage project plans, set targets for milestones and deadlines, and manage internal and external project priorities
- Ability to take initiative and identify next steps across a range of responsibilities, including research, analysis, and the production of high-quality deliverables
- Comfort with, and ability to work well in, a consulting environment — including toggling among multiple projects during a single day or week, balancing competing priorities, communicating effectively with team members and clients, and ensuring that things are not falling through the cracks despite the fast-paced nature of the work
- Excellent communication skills across a range of audiences including clients, foundation partners, peer organizations, and others, using a range of methods such as email, phone, video calls, slides, and other written documents
- Strategic thinking and the ability to anticipate next steps and develop potential scenarios from ambiguity to move the project along
- Flexibility; creativity; ability to pivot and problem solve as circumstances change and new needs or information arise
- A growth mindset, strong interest in continuous learning and improvement, openness to feedback, and a sense of curiosity about what is possible in a given project or subject area
- The ability to listen for what different audiences need or are interested in, and then create materials tailored to these different audiences
- Commitment to advancing racial and economic equity and social justice
Preferred but Not Required
- Skills and experience with using tools and technology to complete work (e.g., Google Suite, video conferencing software, project management platforms, survey tools, etc.)
- Experience in one or more of Root Cause’s service lines and/or social issue areas
- Experience managing external/client relationships, facilitating meetings, and creating materials/tools for external audiences
The anticipated start date for this position is July 2022.
COMPENSATION + BENEFITS
The starting salary for this role is $72,000 per year. Because we know that the practice of salary negotiation can contribute to pay inequities, this starting salary is non-negotiable.
Benefits are available for all employees and include:
- Health (HMO & PPO available), Dental, Prescription & Deductible coverage
- 401k with Employer Match, FSA and Dependent Care options
- Monthly cell phone and internet stipend
- Remote-first work environment with access to co-working space (greater Boston area employees)
- Generous Time Off Policy includes year-end collective time off, personal days, & pop-up holidays
To apply, please go to: https://rootcause.org/career/manager/