Homeowner’s Rehab, Inc. (HRI) is a private non-profit organization founded in 1972. Over the past 25 years HRI has shifted its focus to include rental properties as a means to maintain and create new opportunities for households that cannot compete in this housing market. We strive to support both mixed-income communities and 100% affordable communities with safe, decent and affordable housing.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Controller will oversee and supervise all accounting transactions and financial reporting of our four 501C-3 non-profit organizations, namely: Homeowner's Rehab, Inc. (HRI), Cambridge Neighborhood Apartment Housing Services, Inc., (CNAHS), Cambridge Community Housing, Inc., (CCHI) and Cambridge Community Housing Development, Inc., (CCHDI). In addition, we have a number of Limited Partnerships/LLC’s, and other affiliates to account for.
The Controller will work closely with the Director of Finance to create and implement internal controls, procedures and improve efficiencies of accounting operations.
The Controller will provide assistance to the Director of Finance and other Senior staff, as special projects become necessary from time to time. The Controller will also supervise the Bookkeeper.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Supervise the Bookkeeper and be responsible for the accounting function of the organizations and affiliates.
- Review and approve work performed by the Bookkeeper.
- Responsible for bank reconciliations and accounts payable of the Limited Partnerships/LLC’s.
- Processing payroll and retirement plan contributions, maintenance of all payroll files, including I-9 forms.
- Provide administration of all fringe benefit plans, such as the 403b Plan, Flexible Spending Plans and any others as they may occur.
- Maintain and update the Chart of Accounts.
- Review of monthly requisitions to the City of Cambridge for administration and loan pool funds, obtain necessary signatures and insure timely delivery.
- Input monthly loan payments, generate monthly statements to borrowers.
Maintain updated loan receivables ledger and alert appropriate staff when payments are not received.
- Preparation of quarterly financial reporting for HRI and CNAHS.
- Preparation of reports, quarterly, in compliance with the terms of the City contracts.
- Preparation of journal entries to record cash receipts and disbursements of any funds held by HRI, as they may relate to CCHI, CCHDI or any of the affiliates. Coordination with the Management Company’s accounting staff on any audit related issues, as necessary.
- Preparation of all invoices to the Management Companies for asset management, resident services, construction supervision, incentive management fees, etc. that arise at various times during the year. ·
- Assistance with all the annual audits, cost certifications and tax returns, by preparing the necessary schedules along with compiling the appropriate supporting documentation.
- Review and prepare for signature and delivery, all annual IRS filings, including 990’s, 1099's, 1098's and 1096's.
- Perform other administrative and accounting functions, in support of the Director of Finance as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university required; CPA preferred.
- Five to seven years of progressive accounting experience is required.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles, procedures, and controls.
- Experience in a supervisory capacity is preferred.
- Is organized and able to handle multiple projects at a given time.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail and deadline oriented.
- Self-starter who will take initiative, learn quickly, and able to work independently with little supervision as well as in a team environment. This is a small organization and you must be willing to get into the details.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word, as well as various accounting software products including Quick Books and Blackbaud’s Financial Edge.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Teams is a plus.
HRI is an equal opportunity organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other bias protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits.
Application Instruction: Please send a cover letter and a copy of your resume to email@example.com.