Our mission is to empower individuals from diverse communities to find employment and build careers; and to partner with employers to hire, develop and retain productive workforces.
JVS provides a broad range of services including adult education, skills training, job readiness training, job placement and support, and access to post-secondary education. JVS assists employers in their search for well-qualified job applicants and their initiatives to upgrade the skills of their incumbent workforce.
Position Summary: The Controller is an ambitious, detail-oriented and self-motivated individual who will report to and partner with the Chief Financial Officer, as part of the seven-person Finance Department of JVS. The Controller will be responsible for ensuring the JVS monthly closing process is completed accurately and financial statements prepared timely. This individual responds quickly and with sound judgment to a variety of situations in a fast-paced environment and handles sensitive information in a professional manner. They will be hands-on and contribute at all levels including fiscal controls, internal and external reporting, while also serving as a thought partner to the CFO on many issues. The Controller directly supervises the Manager of Finance and the Accounts Payable Specialist.
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Position Class: Professional
Salary Grade: 8
Supervises: 2 Staff – Manager of Finance and Accounts Payable Specialist
Essential Job Functions:
Accountability and Results Focused:
- Oversee daily entry of accounts payable and receivable transactions, payroll and benefit allocation entries, account reconciliations, and monthly accounting tasks to ensure timely close process;
- Responsible for preparation of monthly financial statements and other reports for management, as well as attend and present at various meetings as required;
- Manage the revenue cycle and record accounts receivables and billings, including enhancing the process to optimize cash flow;
- Oversee the recording of bank activity including investment and interest income, deposits, and electronic payments;
- Manage the agency credit card program and corporate purchasing accounts;
- Assist in the coordination and preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances;
- Responsible for record retention and compliance of agency accounting files;
- Coordinate annual financial statement audit and filings with external audit team,
- Manage, maintain and upgrade the agency financial fund accounting system and other financial applications;
- Develop, automate, and implement systems, policies, procedures, and internal controls, to ensure compliance with accounting standards and improve efficiencies;
- Supervise the Manager of Finance and the Accounts Payable Specialist and provide mentoring, coaching and written annual evaluations;
- Perform other related duties and projects as requested.
Build relationships, collaboration and teamwork:
- Provide training to stakeholders on financial process, information, and updates, including Professional Development for agency staff;
- Work collaboratively with and provide assistance to fellow team members to encourage cooperation and ensure performance goals are met;
- Ensure high level of satisfaction, trust, and reliability for staff, clients, funders and vendors;
- Attend and actively participate in agency wide trainings and programming, staff meetings, and team-based projects;
- Support and promote the mission and philosophy of JVS both internally and outside the agency.
- Demonstrate a professional demeanor with strong leadership skills;
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
Minimum Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field; CPA/MBA a plus. Exceptional accounting skills;
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive accounting experience in a nonprofit organization, and with specific experience with nonprofit revenue recognition, statement production and compliance;
- Minimum of 2 years of direct staff supervisory experience;
- Proficiency with nonprofit fund accounting systems; Serenic Navigator a plus;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Intermediate/Advanced Excel is a requirement);
- Confident self-starter; ability to prioritize, juggle multiple deadlines and projects;
- Ability to troubleshoot, design, implement, and manage systems that contribute to an efficient working environment;
- Meticulous attention to detail with excellent analytical, problem-solving, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively with Board of Directors, senior staff, volunteers, and peers;
- Creative, results oriented, and energetic with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
JVS Culture: JVS is strongly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates and values employee differences and similarities. By providing and supporting a work culture that fosters and builds upon diversity and its strengths, JVS will better serve our local communities and continue to provide quality services.
JVS is an employment at-will organization and an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, JVS prohibits retaliation against an applicant or employee because he or she has engaged in protected activity under the statutes prohibiting discrimination in the workplace.
TO APPLY: JVS has partnered with Cindy Joyce of Pillar Search & HR Consulting on the search for the newly created role of Controller. Please submit your cover letter and resume to Cindy at email@example.com.