Development and Communications Assistant for Beyond Walls
(Lynn, MA) Beyond Walls, Inc., (BWI) seeks a dynamic, resourceful and collaborative individual with experience in non-profit development to join our team. Beyond Walls is a non-profit placemaking agency that used a creative lens to address community needs. We are a diverse group that believes cities best thrive when they are full of art and have engaged stakeholders and active spaces. Our work revolves around our mission to activate spaces to strengthen communities. Our staff is passionate, committed, entrepreneurial and fun.
The Development Assistant will coordinate the annual fund efforts for all activities related to individual, foundation and corporate donors of BWI. This position reports directly to and works closely with the ED and Development Committee – as well as consulting Grants and Fundraising Advisors - to support a comprehensive development strategy and an implementation plan to include the following goals:
- Strengthen the individual giving and major donor program
- Support and expand foundation funding
- Expand corporate sponsorship
- Generally, broaden community awareness of and support for Beyond Walls.
The ideal candidate must be committed to Beyond Walls mission and comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment. She/he will possess an exceptionally high level of personal responsibility, and be equally comfortable with back end processes, guiding the executive director and board on donor solicitations, engaging with donors, and creative strategy. Specific tasks include:
Development, Donor Relations, and Database Management
- Working closely with Grants Advisor Consultant and Development Consultant, manage the implementation of Beyond Walls Development Plan, including tracking progress towards goals for all categories of income and outreach;
- Maintain and update database, including logging and acknowledging donations and communications with donors/funders/supporters;
- Work closely with Founder/CEO, Board of Directors, Committee Members, and other staff to expand and diversity donor base;
- Develop, coordinate, and implement donor appreciation and stewardship pitches and strategies for different segments, including both corporate and individual donors/supporters;
- Coordinate design/drafting, production and mailing of annual fundraising appeals;
- Working closely with Grants Advisor, manage annual grant calendar including writing grant proposals and grant reports (including budgets) for foundation and corporate grants;
- Coordinate and implement fundraising and community events;
- Act as Executive Assistant to Founder/CEO on all fundraising matters, including scheduling donor meetings and events.
Communications and Outreach
- Manage and implement annual communications calendar including e-newsletters, website content, social media posts, and annual reports. Includes designing appealing outreach and writing compelling communications for all channels;
- Prepare monthly reports for key communications metrics;
- Support program and other staff on implementation of community-based events.
- Represent Beyond Walls in the community and at events;
- Collaborate with the program team to stay current on projects and ensure that our impact narrative is compelling and accurate;
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2+ years combined volunteer and work experience with a non-profit strongly preferred
- Development database experience preferred
- Management experience of individual donor campaigns strongly preferred
- Exceptional goal orientation and an excellent strategic thinker with a proven track record of success
- Excellent verbal and written communicator; can speak and write compellingly about our organization, mission, and goals
- Ability to build strong relationships with various types of people and to motivate superiors, peers, and development committee members to meet ambitious goals
- Comfortable and excited about working in an entrepreneurial setting and experience and comfort working with diverse communities.
- Ability to operate with purpose, urgency, and accuracy in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Uncommon level of personal responsibility and drive towards exceedingly ambitious goals
- Strong interest or background in art, community development, and youth development
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
This is an AA/EOE position. Persons of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample in one .pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org.