Hours: 30 hours/week (4 days/week)
Pay Rate: $24 per hour
Community Cooks is a nonprofit organization with a unique and powerful model. We mobilize individuals, businesses, civic, educational, and faith-based groups to provide home prepared food for vulnerable neighbors. We do this by partnering with shelters, after school programs, and other human service agencies that provide support for those struggling with food insecurity. By providing home cooked meals to these agencies, we free up their time to focus on their advocacy and service models as well as ensure that those that they are helping receive the nutrition they need to meet their daily challenges. We currently have over 1,000 volunteer cooks that provide more than 5,100 monthly meals to more than 40 partner agencies in the Greater Boston area.
Community Cooks was founded as an all-volunteer organization 30 years ago. In 2012, we transitioned to a 501(c)(3) and now have a paid staff of four, an engaged Board of Directors, and a budget of nearly $400,000 annually.
The Development & Communications Coordinator is a part-time position reporting to the Executive Director (ED). The Development & Communications Coordinator will be responsible for an array of crucial day-to-day development and administrative tasks to ensure that our meal program and fundraising efforts run smoothly. This individual will also help to create and implement a communications strategy for the organization that increases engagement, builds community, and helps us convey the impact of our work to donors and program volunteers.
Specifically, the Development & Communications Coordinator will:
- Support our Executive Director with ongoing development, administrative and data needs including coordinating the scheduling and mailing of fundraising appeals, drafting donor correspondence, and maintaining and updating our new Salesforce database
- Draft, schedule and coordinate social media campaigns, e-newsletters and e-blasts
- Establish and implement protocols and systems to maximize effectiveness of Salesforce database including:
- Development of a donor acknowledgement system for recording gifts, updating contact information and maintaining donor notes
- Day to day implementation of donor acknowledgement system
- Creation and dissemination of all necessary program and fundraising reports
- Assist with planning and on-site coordination of fundraising and outreach events, including annual gala
- Perform basic web maintenance and updates using Squarespace platform
The successful candidate will be excited about working as an integral member of a small, collaborative team and be a detail-oriented, highly organized person with social media savvy, excellent writing skills, and an eye for design. Proficiency with basic MS Office applications (Word, PPT and particularly Excel) and social media platforms is essential. Additional requirements include: a basic understanding of nonprofit development and some experience fundraising for nonprofits. Working knowledge of Salesforce and Constant Contact, along with familiarity with development databases is preferred.
Additional desired skills and characteristics include creativity, an ability to self-organize, and dependability. The successful candidate will be eager to convey the impact of what we do while understanding and appreciating the importance of administrative processes, systems and technology that support an efficient, effective organization.
- This position is 4 days per week (30 hours) to start at a rate of $24 per hour.
- This on-site position offers some flexibility regarding work day shift within regular business hours. Occasional evenings or weekends may be required with comp time provided.
- Benefits include vacation, 2 personal days and paid sick time as provided by law.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a qualified candidate who is energized by our model of community engagement to address hunger and food insecurity in our neighborhoods. Submit your resume and a cover letter that tells us why you are excited to work for a small, growing organization and describes the work environment that would enable you to deliver your best effort in the Development & Communications role. Please note: applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
For priority consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter as soon as possible and no later than Monday, February 24th, 2020.
Community Cooks is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.