Job Title: Development Manager
Position Type: Full-Time, year-round
Direct Report: Executive Director
The Development Manager will be responsible for implementing, in coordination with the World Farmers Leadership Team, all organizational fundraising and grant writing efforts. This position will identify grants and project manage grant proposals from proposal creation to submission.
This position will also coordinate across staff once a grant is awarded to ensure the entire team understands the project and coordinate with key staff to establish all evaluation and benchmark tools as well as communicate out reporting needs and ensure report processes according to funder requirements are in place. This position will assist and/or lead in communication to funders, depending on the funder. We are looking for a passionate individual versed in nonprofit communications, fundraising, and project development across several program areas. World Farmers enjoys working for and with a diverse staff to tell the stories of World Farmers’ work in ways that support the organization’s growth and farmer-driven evolution. The ideal candidate is a systems thinker who understands the connection between communication, relationship management, fundraising, and community-based project development. World Farmers takes a shared approach to fundraising and communications, and this position will lead in guiding, and implementing our work in these areas.
- Manage Grant pipeline including researching new funders and grants.
- Craft and draft proposals in collaboration with the team.
- Oversee grant kick off meetings with staff teammates and project partners.
- Designing and managing annual fundraising campaign(s); conducting occasional match campaigns and securing sponsorships.
- Working closely with the Executive Director and Directors to understand and fundraise for development needs of individual programs.
- Manage and maintain donor database, communications, and acknowledgements.
- Build a culture of philanthropy across the organization.
- Oversee and organize funder site visits and regular updates to funders.
- Event support in the form of fundraising and communications.
- Lead in external communications including developing written content for our quarterly newsletters.
- Ensure messaging of World Farmers’ current work is kept up to date on the website.
- Communications support, guidance, and editorial assistance to programs for cohesive branding/messaging across the entire organization.
- Manage social media campaigns, in coordination with the Communications and Design Coordinator.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Uphold World Farmers’ values in all areas of work.
- Three years or more experience in nonprofit fundraising including grant writing, proposal writing, campaign planning and implementation, and donor cultivation and engagement.
- Experience with building relationships with private funders or Foundations.
- Experienced in narrative development in grant writing for foundations and government grants.
- Passion for and desire to support small- to mid-scale farmers; some knowledge of this community’s stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a team-based multicultural work environment, and strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate across a busy group of stakeholders.
- Ability to see the big picture and take actionable steps towards achieving strategic goals in order to realize a long-term vision.
- Strong professional written skills, with a lens of storytelling.
- Strong ability to edit written work products.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Personal integrity, honesty, and respect for others demonstrated throughout career.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the work environment.
- Social Justice and Food Justice minded and motivated individuals.
- Ownership of reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree.
Additional Duties Include: acting as World Farmers ambassador and representing our values and mission across all interfaces, including with staff, farmer participants, and partners; and any other duties that working in a mission-driven, fluid operation require.
Benefits: health insurance, vacation and sick time, as well as fresh veggies!
To apply: Submit résumé, brief cover letter, and three references to HR@worldfarmers.org with the subject line: Development Manager Application. References will not be contacted without your prior approval and notification.
Start Date: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, TBH as soon as possible.
World Farmers holds 30 years of experience in supporting immigrant, refugee, and beginning farmers to grow and market their produce. Through Flats Mentor Farm in Lancaster, MA, World Farmers assists over 350 farmers by providing access to land, farming infrastructure, and technical assistance in agricultural production and marketing so that immigrants and refugees passionate about agriculture and living in New England can grow familiar foods and contribute to community food systems where locally produced cultural crops are available to all.
World Farmers is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants from culturally diverse backgrounds and/or historically under-represented communities.
We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. World Farmers is committed to equal employment opportunity and strongly encourages women and people of color to apply.