Job Title: Development Officer Reports To: Director of Development
Department/Division: Development/Philanthropic Services Standard Hours: Mon–Fri 8:30 – 5:00
FLSA Status: Exempt –Administrative
$63,000 ‒ $70,000 Annually
The position’s primary focus is to raise unrestricted dollars for current use, through executing an annual fund campaign and developing new funds and creating and implementing events for donors to learn, connect, co-invest, build skills, and strengthen relationships with CFWM. The Development Officer is part of the Philanthropic Services team. The position will also work collaboratively with staff in the Community Impact team as well as Finance, Administration, and IT. All activities are developed and implemented in alignment with the Foundation’s overall strategic priorities including diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Manage a portfolio of annual fund donors and prospects.
• Plan, coordinate, and execute the Foundation’s Annual Fund through multiple channels, including direct mail, social and digital media; orchestrating asks with prospect managers; personally, soliciting donors and prospects; and managing volunteers.
• Attend events for prospecting and relationship-building opportunities and follow up as appropriate.
• Assess donor needs and develop a programming plan that responds to those needs
• Work in collaboration with the Development Operations team to develop fund agreements and respond to fundholder/donor requests for information regarding their funds or giving.
• Oversee the planning, coordination, and execution of successful and meaningful events that supports donors and fundholders in building skills and becoming more engaged and connected philanthropists.
• With oversight and collaboration from the Director of Development, collaborate with the Community Impact Team to develop and implement co-investment opportunities.
• With oversight and collaboration from the Director of Development and Director of Philanthropic Operations to plan and execute donor prospecting activities, programs, and events virtually and in person.
• Collaborate across the Philanthropic Services Department to develop collateral materials to support
donor engagement and fund development efforts.
• Regularly access the Foundant database for data entry and to create reports.
• Maintain confidentiality of Community Foundation affairs in communications, both written and oral.
• Attendance at events outside work hours.
• Travel throughout Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties for meetings and events.
• Other duties as required or assigned.
Education: Requires bachelor’s degree or four-years equivalent experience developing writing, learning, and problem-solving skills.
Experience: 3+ years of progressive experience in fundraising. A deep understanding of annual fundraising strategies is required.
The Community Foundation recognizes that the Development Officer can bring to this position experience, expertise, talent, and energy from meaningful professional and volunteer work in either the for profit or not for profit sectors.
• Experience with and knowledge of best practices in annual giving
• Experience with solicitation
• Experience with volunteer management
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills including effective presentation and public speaking skills and outstanding writing skills
• Excellent project management skills: organizational, prioritization and follow-through skills and attention to detail; ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously and to be flexible in adjusting to changing circumstances
• Experience in creative event planning and implementation
• Proficient skills in the MS Office Suite, Zoom, Microsoft Teams or other webinar platforms
• Experience with relational, constituent management databases such as FIMS, Raiser Edge, Foundant, or Salesforce
The physical demands listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Lifting/Carrying <25 lbs Standing✓ Bending ✓ Walking✓ Pushing/Pulling ✓ Communicating✓ Seeing✓ Hearing✓ Sitting ✓ Crouching✓ Reaching✓ Balancing✓