Looking for something different? Join the globally unique Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute and help us pursue an ambitious mission focused on cutting-edge science and education. Not a scientist? Don’t worry. GMGI appeals to people who care about the ocean, human health, education, community development, and much more. With deep roots locally on Cape Ann, GMGI also has regional, national, and international impact across our programs. As we prepare for continued growth now is the time to join GMGI!
GMGI’s Development team executes all activities related to philanthropic contributions in support of the marine genomics research institute, Gloucester Biotechnology Academy, and organization-wide priorities. Set to publicly launch a $20 million campaign in 2023, the Development team is growing with the goal of securing even greater support for organizational priorities and operations. The Development Officer will play a critical role in inspiring and securing gifts for GMGI and serve as a member of the administrative team. Charitable giving is critical for GMGI to address challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment as well as our efforts to offer young people new career pathways in the life sciences and biotechnology.
Reporting to the Development Director, the Development Officer will focus on securing gifts over $10,000 and effectively communicate the mission, values, and scope of the organization to external audiences. The Development Officer will manage a portfolio of prospects comprised primarily of individuals along with select foundations, and partner with colleagues to conceptualize and implement fundraising event and stewardship strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of individual donors and prospects, acting as an externally facing fundraiser to strategically develop new relationships through proactive outreach.
- Work collaboratively with the Development Director and GMGI Leadership to develop and implement overall strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and coordination of all follow up steps with a goal to increase the number of gifts and donors at the $10,000+ level.
- Manage the grant application process for a select number of foundations.
- Work collaboratively across the organization, develop a deep understanding of GMGI’s mission, programs, and values. Excellent communication and collaboration skills at all levels of the organization are required.
- Bring an entrepreneurial mindset to the growth of the Development program, striving to improve and extend relationships with donors and prospects in ways that have a quantifiable impact on philanthropic revenue.
- Track moves management actions of prospects and donors in database (Salesforce).
- Conduct research on individuals and foundations to increase the pipeline of prospects.
- Work closely with Development colleagues and GMGI staff on conceptualizing fundraising events and engaging prospects at events.
- Other duties as assigned by the Development Director in support of special projects and initiatives related to prospect and donor cultivation.
Work Experience Requirements:
- 2+ years’ experience in development
- Highly energetic individual with track record of developing and executing successful gifts strategies.
- Experience in early-stage donor qualification and discovery. Familiarity with tools and techniques of prospect research.
- Demonstrated success working individually and as a member of a high functioning team.
- Commitment to GMGI’s mission.
- An advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to maintain a high level of donor confidentiality; diplomacy and discretion is required.
- Ability to communicate professionally with a broad spectrum of internal and external stakeholders including donors, leadership, GMGI board members, Gloucester community, Academy students, etc.
- Availability to attend and staff various events as part of Development activities including occasional evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe required.
- Familiarity with standard database functionality required (Salesforce preferred).
Learn more at https://gmgi.org/about/careers/