The Social Innovation Forum (SIF) builds the networks and capacity to accelerate social change in Greater Boston. SIF connects innovative nonprofit organizations and social impact businesses with an ever-growing community of 1,400 volunteers, investors and practitioners who contribute their time, talents, resources and money to drive positive social impact. It is by mobilizing the members of Greater Boston that SIF is able to catalyze the impact of over 100 social impact organizations since its launch in 2003. To learn more about the Social Innovation Forum’s impact, check out this video: http://www.socialinnovationforum.org/our-impact.
As our first Director of Community Mobilization, you’ll share our belief that we can meaningfully drive social change by leveraging the resources that already exist within Greater Boston. You’ll use your unique blend of skills, experiences and talents in development, communications, digital marketing, and community engagement to ensure that more individuals, corporations and community organizations have the opportunity to participate in Boston’s foremost community for social change. This is the perfect role for you if you measure your success by the number of dollars raised, volunteer hours committed, partnerships launched, and the rates at which gifts are renewed and donors return year after year.
Fund development is a team approach at the Social Innovation Forum. You’ll work hand-in-hand with our Executive Director, Director of Programs, Director of Network Engagement, and Director of Strategy and Operations to both introduce new members to our community and help steward them whether they decide to sponsor a Social Issue track, volunteer their time, attend events or support our Social Innovators in other ways. It is because of the diverse ways in which members of the community can contribute that you’ll be responsible for tasks classically associated with development strategy and operations, marketing and communications, and events and partnership development. You’ll have the opportunity to supervise a team including a Development Coordinator, Communications and Events Coordinator, and student Coops.
You’ll be a wonderful addition to our team if you are passionate about growing and nurturing interpersonal relationships in support of key social outcomes. A proven track record of success in management roles within a political or advocacy campaign or driving campaigns for social change is desired. It’s your ambition to reach and engage more people and organizations in meaningful ways that will help you to excel in this role.
This role reports to our Executive Director and serves as a member of our leadership team.
As Director of Community Mobilization you will be responsible for designing a coordinated approach to donor tracking, communication, and engagement that successfully generates community interest in financial giving and attendance at SIF events and volunteering. Your work will mainly focus on the following key responsibilities:
Donor Outreach and Engagement
- Grow the number and engagement of the organization’s donors and stakeholders through the design and distribution of targeted (segmented) digital marketing campaigns
- Lead SIF’s work to enhance the types (eg lists, readership, event attendance) and ways data is collected and analyzed to inform outreach to new and prospective donors and partners
- Lead the team of internal and external resources, including people and financial, responsible for drafting the annual report
- Oversee externally-facing events for the organization, including two large events (Winter Reception and Social Innovator Showcase) as well as community-facing events to support donor outreach and engagement
- Project manage the organization’s end of year annual appeal and June appeal, and lead all activities related to campaigns to cultivate and solicit donations
Development Operations and Strategy
- Co-design and lead SIF’s development strategy, including new opportunities to identify, cultivate and engage donors, in support of the Leadership Team’s collective donor solicitation efforts
- Lead on development projects, including identifying and completing grant proposals and reports
- Partner with the team to improve moves management so that the Executive Director (SIF’s front-facing fundraiser) can move more prospects and close more gifts
Communications and Branding
- Serve as the organization’s brand steward -- curating and refining brand standards and key messaging, as well as approving key content before distribution
- Author relevant and engaging content and review and update the design as needed of the SIF website, social media, newsletter and blog posts
- Measure the effectiveness of the organization’s online and print marketing and communications activities and use this information to improve the quality of future communications
Team Leadership and Talent Development
- Oversee development and communications team meetings by preparing the agenda, collecting key metrics and prospect reports and facilitating the meeting
- Supervise a Development Coordinator, Communications and Events Coordinator and oversee the hiring and support of part time grant-writer and Northeastern Coops
QUALIFICATIONS & MINDSET
Each candidate brings their own unique combination of strengths, skills and lived and professional experiences to a role. Reviewing the qualifications listed below can help you to better understand what will be expected of you as a member of the SIF team. We do not expect candidates to meet all of the criteria. If you think you would be a strong candidate for this role, please apply even if you don't meet all of the qualifications listed. Due to SIF’s event schedule, a willingness to work some early mornings and evenings is required for this position.
- Strong commitment to SIF’s mission and values
- Successful track record leading communications, marketing and/or donor engagement activities in support of an advocacy or political campaign
- Demonstrated ability to develop high quality connections and relationships with a diverse community of donors, partners and other stakeholders
- Experience creating and deploying programming and campaigns that are driven by stakeholder interests
- Strong management skills and the ability to mentor and lead diverse teams of staff and interns
- Experience working with Salesforce and online analytics tools to measure campaign effectiveness and return on investment
- Flexibility and a tolerance for ambiguity; experience in and excitement to work and learn in an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to work effectively and manage a team under the pressure of multiple tight deadlines and budgetary constraints
- Motivated by the achievement of measurable goals and a track record of persevering through challenges to achieve results
OUR CORE VALUES
Engaged Community SIF’s “marketplace approach” centers on a connected and collaborative community in which nonprofit leaders, donors, volunteers, and others put their skills to work most effectively towards the shared goal of addressing inequities and accelerating social impact in Greater Boston and beyond.
Deep Relationships Building and fostering authentic and trusting relationships among members of our community is core to how we do our work. SIF makes these connections with intentionality and care, and we find joy in seeing them grow and evolve.
Continuous Learning Our team actively seeks to gain new knowledge and understanding from others, with others, and independently. We welcome feedback, engage in honest reflection, and focus on ongoing improvement. We also share our learning with others whenever possible.
Nimbleness SIF is willing to take risks, test new approaches, and pivot in order to respond to emerging priorities. We are adaptable and recognize the need to continuously adjust and innovate in an ever-changing world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion At the Social Innovation Forum (SIF), diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of our core values. We commit to continuous learning and acknowledge that making progress in these areas will be an ongoing journey. We invite all members of our community to engage in this learning with us, share their perspectives, and give us feedback along the way.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The Social Innovation Forum offers a robust compensation and benefits package including high quality health and dental insurance, four weeks of paid time off, and access to a retirement plan. The salary range for this role begins at $90,000.
Interested candidates are encouraged to promptly submit their application by following the link to the online portal operated by our recruitment partner Positively Partners. All applicants will receive a response to their application within two weeks of submission. Please email SIF@positivelypartners.org with questions or for support submitting your application.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SIF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, SIF is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership.