Our Mission: ZUMIX empowers young people to build successful futures for themselves - transforming lives and community through music, technology, and creative employment.
Since 1991, ZUMIX has offered award winning music & creative media programs for youth in the Greater Boston area ages 7-18. We have grown from a literal kitchen table project, to serving 1,000 young people annually through out-of-school programing, as well as in-school arts expansion initiatives. ZUMIX is dedicated to empowering young people through music, and to fostering personal and professional development, artistic growth, and civic engagement, as well as the 21st century skills needed to achieve success in college and career. Our staff members are creative and passionate individuals who hold each other accountable to our mission, vision, core values, and to high standards of excellence. For more information on our work, please visit www.zumix.org.
As ZUMIX continues past our 30th anniversary, we are building upon three decades of successful youth engagement, thoughtful program delivery, good management, and effective fundraising strategies. The last two years have been difficult for our community, however ZUMIX adapted programs to ensure continued engagement with our youth, and to help meet our participants’ basic needs. Two years into the pandemic, we have weathered the storm by hitting our fundraising targets and retaining our staff. We also experienced our first unexpected $1 million gift from MacKenzie Scott and husband Dan Jewett. This past year we launched a multi-year giving society which has already raised over $200,000. We are well positioned to expand our individual donor base, while continuing to attract strong support from foundation grants, grassroots events, increased government grant opportunities, and partnership potential with like-minded corporations who continue to give generously both financially and through their employee engagement.
Reports to: Co-Founder & Executive Director
ZUMIX seeks a full-time Director of Advancement who is enthusiastic about our mission, has experience managing a small team, and brings a strong track record of building dynamic relationships, cultivating donors, securing major gifts from individuals and families, overseeing foundation processes, and managing major fundraising events. The Director of Advancement is responsible for helping to build ZUMIX’s revenue strategy, systems, and processes that will support the stability and growth of our dynamic organization. The Director of Advancement is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of ZUMIX’s fundraising, including the annual fund, grants, major gift cultivation and stewardship, corporate giving, and fundraising events.
They will oversee a team of three: ZUMIX’s Development & Communications Manager, Grant Writer, and Events Coordinator. The Director of Advancement works closely with ZUMIX’s Executive Director and Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors. They must be a music and arts enthusiast with excellent writing, communication, and project management skills. Enthusiasm, eagerness to serve, and sense of humor welcome.
We are ideally looking for someone willing to commit to leading this department for the next 3-5 years.
- Work with Executive Director, Director of Finance & Administration, and Board to prepare annual budget and multi-year fundraising plan
- With committee chair, drive Advancement Committee meetings and strategy
- Serve as a member of the Management Team to set and support policies and practices that best lead the organization at a high-level
- Partner closely with the Director of Programs and other Program Leadership Team members to share stories, data, and best represent the programmatic vision to the broader community
- Work alongside the Director of Finance & Administration to ensure regular reconciliation and cash flow to maintain organizational financial strength
- Supervise Grant Writer in prioritizing and strategizing institutional giving opportunities
- Provide supervision and mentorship for three-member development team, as well as any interns, and/or volunteers; leverage the Executive Director in accomplishing the advancement goals of the organization
Donor Engagement and Communications
- Create and execute a strategy for growing ZUMIX’s base of individual donors, particularly those who can give $5,000+ annually, both in the expanding East Boston community and beyond
- Support the Executive Director, Board, and Committee Chairs to coordinate and prep for in-person asks and make solicitations
- In partnership with the Development & Communications Manager, support their work in day-to-day data management, social media engagement, monthly e-blasts, website updates, Annual Report, and ZUMIX’s Annual Fund development and mailing
- Work with Board members to strategize their personal give/get goals
- Engage donors in new types of individual giving including bequests, gifts of stock, etc.
- Support the Grant Writer to build a pipeline of institutional applications, developing compelling language, sharing good news stories, and programmatic data reporting to raise $600,000-800,000 annually
- Work with all staff to ensure consistent messaging, language, and branding
- Lead “The Muze”, our annual gala, developing vision, fundraising targets, and event details which engage 300+ attendees and achieves a six-figure revenue goal
- Drive annual Walk For Music to engage ZUMIX staff, Board, volunteers, and youth in peer-to-peer fundraising while building a strong sense of community spirit
- Oversee Events Coordinator in execution of annual Big Worlds events, Block Party, summer concerts at Piers Park, managing space rentals, and other earned income streams for the organization
- Imagine additional ways that the ZUMIX community can plug into ZUMIX events and community arts spaces
- Other responsibilities as requested or needed for ZUMIX to accomplish its mission
- 5+ years of development experience, including donor cultivation, individual giving and managing fundraising events
- Demonstrated ability to grow fundraising revenue year over year, especially through relationship building with individuals and corporations
- Ability to be a strategic partner but also the administrative doer among a team with diverse roles, backgrounds, and viewpoints
- Demonstrated staff leadership experience, committed to bring out the best from a development team
- Prior achievement in managing, motivating, and leading a development and marketing program which achieves high goals and maintains accountability
- Bring energetic, collaborative expertise in working with and motivating staff, board members, and volunteers; proactive and can-do approach to problem-solving
- Strong project management skills, ability to set strategic vision, and capacity to break down priorities while managing multiple streams of work
- Knowledge of Boston’s nonprofit and philanthropic sectors; Desire to get out of the office and build external relationships
- Excellent writing and communication skills; thoughtful and a good listener
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple campaigns and work collaboratively, especially with program leaders and finance staff
- Familiar with fundraising software (we use Bloomerang), data collection, and utilizing trends to develop fundraising plans
- Excellent organizational skills, proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel; strong comfort in building and aligning with budgets
- Previous Directors of Advancement have held a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in nonprofit administration, management, or the arts, however, it is more important for this person to bring life experiences and professional exposure that most closely aligns with the requirements of the role; musical education or experience a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to urban youth development and the arts, especially popular music and working with teens; belief in ZUMIX mission required
- Background that relates to our dominant Latinx and East Boston community; Verbal and written fluency in Spanish strongly desired; multicultural sensitivity required
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with generous paid time off including an annual closure from December 25th until January 2nd, annual professional development funds, retirement planning and contribution of 1% of salary. ZUMIX pays 100 percent of Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML) tax as well as short-term, long-term, and life insurance. Annual salary is commensurate with experience but budgeted at $75,000-80,000.
ZUMIX does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, along with our participants, their families, our volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors.
Please email resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Madeleine Steczynski, Co-Founder & Executive Director at email@example.com. In the subject line, please write “Director of Advancement: [name]” in the subject line. Applications are due January 28, 2022.