Director of Development
Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast, based in Newton, Massachusetts, seeks an experienced and visionary fundraising professional to join our close-knit team. This is a unique opportunity to build a fundraising strategy for a successful $4M nonprofit organization that has previously relied almost exclusively on sales revenue to support our critical mission of serving fragile infants. Under new leadership, and with a new strategic mindset and enthusiastic support from our Board of Directors, we are excited to find the right candidate to create and implement a successful fundraising strategy. We have a strong foundation of communications and significant stakeholder group in place, which includes milk donors, milk recipients, and more than 100 hospitals and health care centers. If you have been wanting to make your mark and utilize your skills and fundraising experience to grow a nonprofit and develop a culture of philanthropy, let’s talk!
About Us: At Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast we believe that every baby deserves the chance to thrive. We provide equitable access to safe pasteurized donor human milk to save the lives of fragile babies and work to support family and community health. Our 20+ staff members work hard to build and sustain connections between generous mothers who donate their excess milk and babies in need, most urgently preterm babies in neonatal intensive care units. In addition to the processing and distribution of donor milk, we advocate for better access to donor milk and more support for families, and we educate the public about these issues. We have grown rapidly in recent years, starting as a grassroots organization that now serves a large geographic region. The revenue from our milk sales covers most of the expenses of our growing nonprofit. Looking to the future, however, we want to expand and deepen our impact, provide better access to those traditionally underserved, develop innovative programs, and increase capacity at our facility to grow our overall impact. We are excited at the possibilities that building a new development division can bring to help us realize these aims. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, this a great opportunity for someone with a creative mix of skill, can-do attitude, strategic vision, and positive energy.
About the Position:
- Develop a multipronged fundraising strategy that includes individual donors, major gifts, foundations, and events. Capital campaign is also a future possibility.
- Work directly with the Board of Directors to build a new culture of philanthropy
- Partner with the Executive Director (ED) to establish concrete fundraising metrics and work diligently to achieve those goals
- Develop and implement an individual gifts strategy designed to attract new donors and elevate current donors
- Identify possible foundations and corporate sponsors and successfully obtain grants with a focus on those over 25k
- Develop and supervise a small team
- Oversee marketing and communications
- Work with the ED and Board to determine and implement event strategies
- Utilize the ED in an efficient and effective manner for fundraising
- Utilize our donor software to track grants and gifts and build overall capacity
- Collaborate with ED and senior management staff to raise the profile of our organization
- Directly represent the organization in a positive, compelling, and professional manner
We fully recognize that careers take us on a variety of journeys and know that we may not find the following desirable attributes in a single candidate. We also know that some journeys might produce attributes not listed here that are also valuable. Below are some of the key qualifications that a successful candidate is likely to have. We want to hear from you even if you have a different combination of skills that you think will enable us to reach our goals:
- Minimum of 5 years of nonprofit fundraising experience, at least 2 in a leadership role
- Demonstrated fundraising success
- Experience with capital campaigns preferred
- Successful cultivation and solicitation of major gifts
- Experience working directly with a Board of Directors
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrable professional relationship-building skills
- Collaborative working style while also autonomously managing a work portfolio
- Computer skills including familiarity with fundraising databases (we utilize Little Green Light)
- High energy and commitment to our mission
- Flexible, adaptable, interested in being part of a changing and growing organization with the opportunities and challenges that change brings
- Wonderful sense of humor a big plus
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Salary: $85,000 - $120,000 depending on experience
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex care and Retirement (with employer match). Paid time off.
Work Arrangements: We are in Newton, MA. Staff either work FT in person or have a hybrid work model of some hours in person and some remote. FT hours can be flexible.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Mothers’ Milk Bank Northeast is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people who are under-represented in their respective occupation or position.
Please send resume and cover letter to Deborah Youngblood, Executive Director Deb@milkbankne.org with the job title in the subject line.