Position: Director of Finance & Administration
Type: Full-time, exempt
Salary Range: $100-125,000/annually
About the Position
Revolutionary Spaces, a new organization on Boston’s civic and cultural landscape formed in January 2020 by the merger of the Bostonian Society and Old South Association, seeks a Director of Finance and Administration to manage the complex financial affairs of Revolutionary Spaces and ensure the smooth administrative functioning of the organization. The position requires a broad range of skills and hands-on involvement in details, while also demanding an ability to think strategically about the operations and interests of the entire organization. This role serves as a key member of the organization’s senior leadership team, and reports directly to the CEO.
Incumbent is responsible for all financial processes and controls. This includes;
● Managing the organization’s annual audit, tax reporting, and compliance with relevant government regulations;
● Guiding the organization’s annual budgeting process, and providing oversight of the budget throughout the year;
● Serving as staff liaison with the Board’s Finance Committee;
● Preparing monthly financial results, and presenting them to the CEO, Treasurer, Board, staff, and others, as relevant;
● Ensuring that routine accounting processes, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll, are performed accurately and in a timely fashion;
● Ensuring that appropriate controls are maintained across the organization;
● Overseeing internal finance reporting across multiple departments, including development, retail, and museum operations;
● Overseeing finance technology contracts and management. Current systems include: Bill.com, Xero, PEX
● Managing relationship with the organization’s bank(s) and investment management firm(s);
● Managing business insurance needs for all departments;
● Supporting fundraising efforts by assisting with the preparation of project budgets and review of all application and solicitation materials;
● Ensuring compliance with restrictions on the use of funds imposed by donors and the Board of Directors;
● Establishing and tracking key metrics to measure organizational performance and impact;
● Managing external legal counsel;
● Managing and negotiating all leases and relationships with tenants and landlords.
● B.A./B.S. degree; MBA/CPA preferred
● 7+ years of experience in accounting and/or finance; experience with nonprofit organizations, museums, and/or retail stores is preferred
● Extensive experience with Excel and accounting software, such as QuickBooks or Xero
● Expertise in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
● Tech-savvy, with the ability to learn and teach new software as needed
This position will be mostly on-site, with periodic remote work sessions. When on-site, the work of this position takes place both in a regular office environment and at a historic site. Some staff offices are located on the third floor of a 300 year old historic building without an elevator. Candidate should be able to carry supplies up and down stairs. Reasonable accommodations can be made for the right candidate.
Generous vacation and Federal holidays schedule; 403b with 5% match after one year; Health insurance; FSA Medical & Dependent care accounts; MBTA pass program; and free admission to many local museums.
To apply, please email your resume and brief cover letter to HR@RevolutionarySpaces.org with “Director of Finance & Administration” in the subject line.
Through community partnerships, contemporary forms of storytelling, and important civic conversations, Revolutionary Spaces strives to bring people together to explore the history and continue the work of democracy that is evoked so singularly by the two national treasures we care for – Old South Meeting House and the Old State House, located two blocks from each other in the heart of downtown Boston. We believe that our nation’s most fundamental questions took shape here, and we are dedicated to creating experiences for our audiences that not only deepen understanding of the past, but also provide a fresh perspective on the world we live in today and help us create new ideas and tools to help us build a more just and equitable tomorrow. Revolutionary Spaces is an equal opportunity employer. We center our work on the following values:
● Inclusion: We are dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion and ensuring accessibility on multiple dimensions.
● Relevance: We are dedicated to creatively linking lessons of the past with the interests and concerns of Boston’s diverse communities today.
● Boldness of thought: We address challenging topics and promote understanding in response to controversy.
● Engagement: We encourage people to engage, add their voices to today’s debates, and collaborate with others to discover new ways of thinking.