Management Opening: Director of Finance & Administration
Indian Hill Music (IHM), a growing non-profit community music school and music performance center, is seeking a full-time, exempt Director of Finance & Administration. Currently located in Littleton, MA, IHM is preparing for explosive growth as we build a new music center in Groton, MA slated to open in late 2022. The center includes two world-class concert halls, state-of-the art teaching studios, rehearsal spaces, common areas, and amenities to support our operations.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Finance & Administration is a newly created position, a member of the senior management team, and is responsible for the effective financial and administrative management of IHM. This position has a range of responsibilities spanning beyond the traditional finance functions and will include management and completion of administrative projects as required. Currently, the Director of Finance & Administration will have one direct report but the department will grow as we add personnel in the near future. Overall, this position acts as a leader within the organization when dealing with financial and administrative issues. The successful individual will be comfortable operating in a managerial capacity while also rolling up their sleeves and performing basic tasks as necessary.
- Direct and, in some cases, perform accounting activities including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger activity, revenue recognition, accruals, banking, investments, and endowments to maintain fiscal responsibility in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles for non-profit organizations.
- Manage the monthly financial close and reporting process to ensure that financial reports are generated, analyzed, and timely presented to the CEO and budget holders.
- Evaluate, adjust, and establish a strong system of internal controls and procedures to safeguard IHM assets and minimize fraud risk. This is a critical responsibility.
- Complete financial analysis for various operational areas and provide reports to the CEO to aid in decision making. Examples of areas requiring analysis include retention, revenue streams, community impact, demographic information, concert attendance, and more.
- Manage the budget and reforecast process. Provide analysis of budget assumptions and actual to budget results. Support budget holders in managing their budgets.
- Recommend, implement, and document appropriate accounting and fiscal management policies and procedures.
- Direct cash management functions, manage cash flow, and track accumulated reserve balances. Manage banking relationships to optimize service and minimize cost.
- Prepare long range financial projections to supplement the strategic business plan.
- Track restricted equity balances to ensure proper use and release from restriction.
- Maintain accounting control over endowments and investments. Work with investment managers to ensure appropriate reporting and fiduciary responsibilities are met.
- Manage annual audit, financial statement preparation, and Form 990 and PC filing.
- Evaluate current vendors from a relationship and pricing perspective and make changes as appropriate. Evaluate effectiveness of accounting system and software applications that provide inputs into the general ledger.
- Manage risk, including the annual review of insurance coverage to assure adequacy.
ADMINISTRATION & LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as the go to person for the CEO in dealing with a multitude of critical projects which will vary widely depending upon organizational needs. Act as project manager and also be a participating member of the team completing a variety of projects such as furniture acquisition, move coordination, license applications, sale of existing property, etc.
- Manage the Human Resources function and, in the near term, hire a staff member to further organize and advance the function. As a growing organization with a strong set of values and a culture built on positive relationships, a focus on human resources is critical.
- Manage a newly created facilities and maintenance department when we move.
- Attend events as appropriate to be seen as a member of the leadership team managing the organization’s success. These events will typically occur on nights and weekends.
- As a proactive and responsive organization, all staff members are assigned other responsibilities as required to contribute to the overall success of IHM.
- BS in Accounting, Finance, or comparable field, MBA strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting or finance work experience with at least 5 of those years in a manager or director level position. Knowledge of non-profit finance helpful. Also experience that spans beyond the traditional finance and accounting functions and includes supervision of the administrative side of an entity.
- Tremendous potential exists for an individual who can operate at a managerial level while also being comfortable rolling up their sleeves and doing what is necessary to get the job done. A results oriented leader who also values a positive and collaborative work environment and functions as an effective manager. An individual with a strong understanding of accounting and finance and exceptional and demonstrated analytical and organizational skills. Must have the ability to assess and implement internal controls. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to foster effective work relationships at all levels and to interact with patrons. Experience with QuickBooks and Microsoft Office.
COMPENSATION & HOW TO APPLY:
- This is a newly created position. As such, compensation varies widely with a range of $80K to $120K depending upon the selected candidate’s experience, skill set, and what they bring to the position.
- Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements (applications without salary requirements will not be considered) to: Lisa Fiorentino, CEO, Indian Hill Music, PO Box 1484, Littleton MA, 01460, email@example.com
Indian Hill Music does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under applicable law in its admissions, education programs, activities, or employment policies.
Learn more: www.indianhillmusic.org