The Director of Foundation Relations will report to the Vice President of Development (VP) as a key member of the development leadership team for Spaulding Rehabilitation Network/ Partners Continuing Care (SRN/PCC), comprising support for Spaulding’s rehabilitation hospitals, outpatient Centers, long-term care facility, skilled nursing facility, and Partners Healthcare at Home. The Director will provide strategic direction and continued growth for our foundation grants programs to secure complex grants, including five to seven figure gifts. Working closely with the Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer (SVP/CDO) and the VP, the Director will play an integral fundraising role as part of the campaign management team to ensure that SRN meets its goal for the Campaign for Spaulding Research Institute ($75 million over 5 years). The Director will work closely with administrators, trustees, program directors, clinicians, and primary investigators from the network, to raise vital funding for the network’s priorities.
- Oversee, develop and manage an overarching strategy for foundation relations to maximize giving and set the goals for Spaulding foundation philanthropy giving, currently generating over $2,000,000 annually.
- Establish and maintain an active personal portfolio of the top funders. Cultivate and steward these foundation funders, including planning and implementing broad-base, coordinated approaches, strategies, and solicitation of top funders that include: visits between appropriate SRN representatives and funders; prospect research; forging collaborations with potentially interested SRN clinical staff, program directors, hospital administrators, and researchers.
- Work strategically to manage the proposal process and assist with concept development, proposal writing, budget development, editing, submission, follow up and stewardship/reporting.
- Supervise staff and consultants that are also submitting grants and proposals to foundation funders.
- Identify new sources of foundation revenue to grow program as needed to meet priorities and analyze foundation prospects and match them with appropriate funding opportunities
- Work closely with major gift officers and department leadership in strategy development and proposal development for family foundations.
- Maintain relevant and effective CRM-based performance management tools by actively documenting/tracking grant work and interactions with the funders in the development and finance systems.
- Build and maintain partnerships, collaborations, and institutional access across hospital leadership, administration, physicians, researchers, scientists, and development staff.
- Work with Partners Research Management and other related departments in preparing research-related and industry-related foundation grant applications.
- Ensure ongoing awareness and understanding of government grant opportunities.
- Lead by example with best practices, and foster culture of high performance and teamwork among staff and colleagues.
- Oversee one professional FTE or experienced grant-making consultant; staffing to be determined in consultation with SVP/CDO and VP.
- Create and maintain budget for foundation relations
- Fundraising revenue goal of $2,000,000 or more annually
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Graduate degree preferred.
- GP Credential preferred.
- Eight to ten plus years of increasing fundraising responsibility including corporate and foundation relations and successful grants program experience and management, preferably in an academic, medical, or scientific arena.
- Blackbaud CRM experience preferred.
Skills (Specific learned activity gained through training (e.g. computer skills, keyboarding, presentation, CPR, ACLS, etc.)
- Excellent strategic, organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills.
- A successful track record in developing new initiatives and in securing grants and support from foundations and corporations.
- A portfolio of positive relationships with and/or knowledge of major foundation executives.
- A balance of creativity and discipline in complex entrepreneurial environments as well as the ability to deal with complex, fluid situations and relationships.
- Ability to both absorb and digest complex information about a variety of medical and scientific topics as well as to communicate it others in lay language.
- An ability to listen carefully, as well as an ability to influence and persuade others.
- Commitment to the mission of Spaulding and the ability to effectively communicate its mission.
- Proficient knowledge of Blackbaud CRM or similar relational databases and ability to manage funder and prospect data, proposal tracking and other data in the database to produce meaningful analytical reports.
- This position requires the ability to work some nights and weekends, and to travel occasionally.
How to apply: Submit resume and cover letter through the online application https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=3120534&lang=en