**Currently, this opportunity is virtual with the flexibility to work in our Houston or Boston offices** Given the upcoming closure of the MC office for winter break, we expect to conduct phone screens by mid-January
About MassChallenge (MC): MassChallenge is the global network for innovators who are working to solve massive challenges. We connect startups, experts, corporations, and communities to grow and transform businesses and economies. Our mission is to equip bold entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and to create meaningful change. Our mission is BIG and thus we are a team that gives 110% every day. Our guiding principles ensure we stay true to our mission and our core beliefs.
About the Role: MassChallenge is currently seeking a Director of Grants, primarily responsible for establishing and growing our grant funding to enable Development to be a robust revenue stream for the organization. You will find a strong organizational commitment to fundraising, but Development is a startup team; a successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial fundraising professional who is eager to build systems and educate internal stakeholders about best practices.
The Director of Grants will oversee all aspects of MassChallenge’s grant funding, reporting to the Director of Development. The Director of Grants will be responsible for securing grants by developing strong relationships with Government, Corporate, and Foundation contacts and working with the MassChallenge program team to develop competitive proposals. You will oversee the tracking and reporting of all grants and identify new funders to align with MassChallenge’s mission, programs, and philanthropic initiatives.
- Oversee all activities pertaining to grant writing and research for existing and prospective funders, including Federal, State, Foundation, and Corporate grant opportunities with the highest likelihood of funding
- Collaborate with the Director of Development in building short and long-range grant strategies with a focus on major and multi-year commitments
- Establish and manage the US portfolio of grants and steward MassChallenge’s relationship among grantors, including organizing regular exchanges, briefings, and other contacts between relevant MassChallenge staff as well as external funder representatives
- Develop policies, procedures, tools, and communications to administer grants, monitor progress against performance indicators, including the required financial and impact reporting, and track cycles and renewals
- Keep up-to-date on the changing guidelines and regulations impacting grant management
- Train and coach key colleagues across MassChallenge on how to effectively manage grants, including their fiscal and programmatic reporting requirements, scope of services, terms, project closeout, and other related-activities, specific to each grant, as needed
- Communicate regularly with colleagues on new prospects, potential program designs, and strategies for identifying additional funding for current projects
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of experience in the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of government, foundation, and/or corporate funder relationships and a proven record of successful proposal submission and grant management
- Ability to network and demonstrate cross-cultural sensitivity; existing network of major private foundation contacts highly desired
- Ability to work independently but also as part of a team that collaborates closely with one another and across the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to write clear, structured and persuasive proposals and reports and prepare budgets
- Ability to handle ambiguity and juggle multiple initiatives in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining organization and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn new technologies/fundraising systems quickly
- Commitment to equity and social justice, and a strong alignment with our organizational values
Please submit cover letter with resume when applying.
Why You Should Join Us: We believe working at MassChallenge is fulfilling because of the mission, challenging because of the pace and work, and rewarding because you get to build to the next step in your career here. When you join MassChallenge, you join an incredible team and network of innovators and entrepreneurs, you take ownership over significant and strategically important projects, you focus on impact and output, and you help strengthen the global innovation ecosystem.
Disclaimers: Applicants, as well as position incumbents, who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
EEO: MassChallenge is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will MassChallenge discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.