Director of Growth and Innovation
Plummer Youth Promise (“Plummer”) sets a standard of excellence that improves outcomes for young people in or at risk of entering state care by deeply engaging youth, families, and the systems that impact them to develop permanent family relationships, skills, and community connections. Plummer’s vision is that every young person has a family unconditionally committed to nurture, protect, and guide them to successful adulthood.
Headquartered in Salem, MA and with an annual budget of approximately $5.9 million, Plummer provides the following core services:
- Group Home: For young men ages 13 to 18 referred by the Department of Children and Families (DCF)
- Supported Apartment: For young men ages 16 to 22 referred by DCF
- Community Apartment: One-bedroom or studio apartments for youth ages 18 to 22 who turned 18 while in foster care
- Foster Families: For youth ages birth to 22 living with foster families trained and supported by Plummer.
- Intensive Permanency Services: Specialized services for youth ages 4 to 20 living in a foster family or group home that is not connected to Plummer
- Permanency Mediation: As an alternative to a contested court proceeding mediation uses an independent third party to facilitate a child-centered approach to permanency planning for young people birth to 22.
Informed by its current strategic plan, over the next several years, Plummer plans to solidify a national leadership position in the field of child welfare by 1) embedding its values and operating principles, grounded in equity and inclusion, in all of Plummer’s work; 2.) proliferating permanency best practices by providing training, consultations, and coaching to other providers, practitioners, and public child welfare, children's behavioral health, and juvenile justice jurisdictions nationally; 3.) refining and expanding its evaluation and data practices; and 4.) setting a standard of excellence in its own operations and facilities.
As a member of Plummer’s Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Growth and Innovation designs and implements a sustainable business and operations plan to spread best practices nationally, ultimately creating positive outcomes for youth and transforming the child welfare system. As one of Plummer’s primary outward facing senior leaders, the Director of Growth and Innovation will be a dogged champion for permanency and a promoter of Plummer’s best practices broadly to diverse audiences, practitioners, and clients.
High priorities for the Director of Growth and Innovation include:
- Working collaboratively with senior leadership to actualize Plummer’s strategic priorities, most specifically, the proliferation of permanency practices and the organizational cultures necessary to effectively implement and sustain them
- Developing and executing on a business plan and marketing strategy to create a sustainable line of business for Plummer
- Networking relentlessly to raise Plummer’s public profile nationally thereby growing its credibility and paid client base
- Researching and proposing creative solutions to embed permanency practices in the child welfare workforce
- Partnering with the Director of Permanency Practice to ensure the lessons from Plummer's implementation of permanency are integrated in the business plan
- Previous leadership experience with a youth-focused, mission-aligned organization
- Working knowledge of large government systems, including an understanding of government and philanthropic funding for child serving systems
- Personal connection or experience with the child welfare system is valuable
Skills and Experience
Entrepreneurial Business and Strategic Planner
- Business-minded leader and a creative idea generator who can synthesize, align, and articulate a clear strategic recommendation/direction including operational impact
- Visionary who can see down the road, have a finger on the pulse of the sector, and envision a larger reach for Plummer via business or institutional relationships or partnerships
- Nimble, creative, and entrepreneurial-minded individual with the ability to inspire and inform organizational and cultural change
- Deep commitment to data-informed decision-making
- Able to manage to revenue targets and institutional budgets
- Culturally competent leader with exceptional social skills, knowledge of disproportionality in child serving systems, and the ability to forge external relationships with a wide variety of audiences to develop a robust consulting practice
- Proven experience scaling a business or nonprofit practice toward the achievement of a particular goal or impact
- Able to develop and implement a comprehensive, national strategy to grow Plummer’s national leadership and influence for the purposes of improving permanency outcomes for youth nationally
- Skilled at identifying external opportunities to elevate Plummer’s expertise, and approach such as publishing, workshops, and conference presentations
- Effective communication, writing, and public speaking skills
- Enthusiastic with a “can do” spirit committed to championing permanency and Plummer’s practice to broad and diverse audiences
Passionate, Mission-Driven Advocate and Collaborator
- Able to bring a race and equity lens to Plummer’s work as well as being culturally aligned with its values and practices
- Passionate and energetic advocate for youth and families with grounding in and understanding of the various child welfare systems nationally
- A patient and humble collaborator who can navigate the sector’s complex and conflicting rules, regulations, and barriers with the goal of transforming it for the benefit of youth and families
- Knowledge and credibility to promote permanency training programs, consultations, and coaching
- Knowledge of the private philanthropic and public funding sectors, including an understanding of government and private contracting and revenue streams
Teambuilder and Leader of People and Processes
- Demonstrated leadership skills and qualities required to be a credible representative for Plummer
- Able to discern and recommend needed skill sets to deliver on the defined business strategy
- Skilled at collaborating across programs and functions to lead the implementation of a new business strategy
- Understands the change process and its relationship to organizational culture
Application Process and Additional Information
Candidates must include a resume and a cover letter that describes how their qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of Plummer, along with salary requirements, with the understanding that Plummer’s salary range for this position is $115,000 as a base, with the potential to earn up to $140,000 based on a bonus formula tied to revenue.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Upload required documents to https://eostransitions.applicantpool.com/jobs/.
At Plummer, we value diversity and are striving to create an equitable and inclusive environment that reflects the youth and families we serve. We are committed to upholding these values and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures, especially those who represent the global majority. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Plummer is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.