UNITED WAY OF MASSACHUSETTS BAY
We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can't happen without it.
POSITION TITLE: Director Individual Giving
REPORTS TO: Assistant Vice President, Individual Giving & Leadership Gifts
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
The Director of Individual Giving is responsible for achieving clearly defined revenue goals by cultivating relationships with high net-worth donors and prospects and effective management of a portfolio of 250-300 donors. Cultivation efforts will lead to improved donor retention, acquisition, and growth across various channels. The Director is responsible for donor identification, qualification, cultivation, education, solicitation, stewardship, and prospecting major gifts ($10,000+) in support of United Way of Massachusetts Bay's fundraising efforts. They will cultivate and solicit leadership contributors and prospects through workplace campaigns, community-based efforts, effective communications, as well as other fundraising events and engagement opportunities. The Director is also responsible for establishing, staffing and leveraging key internal partnerships in order to achieve optimal results.
The position is responsible for achieving annual revenue, donor retention, growth and acquisition goals. The ideal candidate for this position will achieve these goals with success in the following areas:
I. What: Meet revenue and established goals
- How: Identify and cultivate relationships with high net-worth donors and prospects ($5,000+). Execute a moves management plan for a portfolio of 250-300 donors and prospects with a primary focus of building Tocqueville Society level giving ($10,000+). The plan will include cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship goals achieved through strategic engagement, in person visits, personal phone calls and handwritten notes for donors in their portfolio. Engage in research/utilize existing information to effectively leverage relationships.
II. What: Work effectively with colleagues and donors
- How: Support Individual Giving Leadership team in implementing a recruitment and retention plan for individual donors to further cultivate relationships for annual support. Help determine potential gift amounts and/or collaborative activities in order to increase annual support. Review portfolio results in order to analyze trends and make course corrections. Provide data upon request within reasonable time frames
III. What: Communicate effectively with colleagues about donors and prospects
- How: Enter all meeting notes into UWMB's Andar database system within 5 business days of each visit. Alert Development staff as relevant to any time sensitive knowledge gained as a result of visits that could be leveraged for the good of United Way and the community. Build and enhance relationships with internal colleagues in order to gain knowledge, trust and achieve optimal results
IV. What: Develop and implement strategies to maximize donor and prospect contact and ultimately revenue
- How: Utilize a consultative approach with donors and prospects. Ensure that individual goals are aligned with the organizational goals and overall development goals. Partner with Corporate Relations teams to develop creative solutions to overcome challenges. Co-lead discussions on the topic of strategies for leadership donor engagement.
- Bachelor's Degree and minimum 5-7 years of fundraising or transferable experience in either the private or non-profit sector.
- Experience and understanding of consultative sales and engagement approach preferred.
- Proven experience and ability to build relationships with donors resulting in major gifts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; the ability to inform, inspire and connect prospects and donors to United Way's work in the community
- Strong customer service skills and commitment to donor confidentiality
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong internal partnerships and work within cross-functional teams, team player.
- High-energy individual with a positive outlook.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changing environment.
- Creative and strategic problem solver.
- Highly motivated self-starter; able and willing to take initiative and action
- Commitment to accountability.
- Staff UW events as needed
- Proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment required. Experience with data management systems strongly preferred.
- Volunteer Management preferred
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of our communities
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.