Berkshire Housing is seeking an energetic, creative, and collaborative Director of People and Culture with exceptional judgment, interpersonal skills, and a desire to develop and grow a talented team, from attracting the best applicants to engaging current employees. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of People and Culture is a critical position that will provide guidance and leadership, play a key role in driving the next phase of growth at Berkshire Housing, and develop an environment where our team can thrive.
The ideal candidate will be a confident leader with demonstrated experience collecting and synthesizing input from stakeholders, identifying opportunities for improvement, proposing creative and pragmatic solutions, and thoughtfully designing process rollouts through a change management lens. The successful candidate will also need to be experienced in employment law, compliance, and labor relations.
Position Title: Director of People and Culture (DoPC)
Date Analyzed: September 2021
Position Status: Full-Time
Pay Status: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Directly Supervises: N/A
The Director of People & Culture (DoPC) will be responsible for leading all aspects of Human Resources including recruiting/retention, benefits, hiring/onboarding, performance management, compliance, training and development, and all other human resources (HR) strategies and operations. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the DoPC is a member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and will be involved in a wide range of strategic planning and internal initiatives, including the creation and implementation of organizational strategies, staffing plans, policies, and practices. This new position will be responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and operation of HR functions that support the success of the organization and its strategic objectives. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- With the CEO develop and implement strategies to increase Diversity, Equity & Inclusion within the organization.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to implement strategies for employee engagement and retention. Facilitate and support the EE committee.
- Attract and Recruit Diverse candidates. Implement and continually improve Berkshire Housing’s onboarding and new hire training process, making sure that employees feel welcomed, informed about their benefits, and prepared to excel in their roles.
- Manage Performance Appraisal process and assist with goal development. Collaborate on suggestions for individual training that will enhance growth and development.
- Manage BH’s professional development programming, identifying and implementing training and development opportunities for individuals and teams.
- Manage all benefits at BH.
- Manage BH’s compliance with all labor and employment laws keeping current on changes in local, state, and federal law.
- Serve as a guide and connector for BH staff who are considering transitioning to a next step outside the organization.
- Help define and create strategies for BH’s organizational culture goals, working to make BH an employer of choice.
- Help ensure that BH is an equitable and inclusive workplace where all employees feel valued and can thrive through trainings, coaching, and overall strategy and practice
- Participate in coaching, counseling and advising management and staff to ensure resolution of employment related matters.
- Prepare and analyze HR metrics and provide reports that support decision making in specified areas.
- Create and / or update HR policies, procedures, and guidelines as needed.
- Implement new and enhance existing staff recognition and reward programs.
- Participate in the exit interview process.
- Keep abreast of industry knowledge and trends by participating in conferences and educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining professional networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Berkshire Housing Standards of Conduct:
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and values of Berkshire Housing.
- Demonstrates respectful and effective communication with others.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and be able to relate to internal and external parties professionally, representing Berkshire Housing in a positive manner.
- Must be able to handle and protect the privacy of highly sensitive, confidential information.
- Possess ability to self-direct, strong attention to detail and commitment to excellence in work product while handling multiple projects at one time.
- Adheres to all safety practices, rules and standards throughout the work day.
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality and proactively seeks to make improvements in systems and processes.
- Contributes positively to a professional and respectful office environment.
- Protects the privacy and confidentiality of all private information related to participants, families, staff and general housing operations following privacy practices and HIPAA requirements.
- Proactively anticipates, manages and constructively resolves conflicts and disagreements; identifies ways conflict can lead to positive change.
- Demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence, treats others ethically and fairly, and displays integrity and honesty.
- Adapts and is flexible in response to constraints, failures and adversity.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships.
Desired Job Qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years of HR experience in the above areas.
- Thorough understanding of HR policies and procedures, and knowledge of Federal and State regulations, including FLSA, FMLA, COBRA, ADA, HIPAA, and EEO laws and regulations.
- Familiarity with all aspects of HR, including compensation, recruitment, benefits, training.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills are essential. Ability to lead meetings and presentations, and ability to interface with all levels of staff with tact and diplomacy.
- Must be a collaborative team player, possess a strong customer service orientation, and be a consultative problem solver.
- Ability to advocate for both staff and management.
- Highly proactive style of work, with a demonstrated track record of developing innovative approaches.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.