About the Opportunity:
Building Futures has partnered with Cindy Joyce of Pillar Search & HR Consulting on the search for their new Employer Relations Manager.
This is an ideal opportunity for an organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated individual who enjoys developing employer partnerships. Through these partnerships, Building Futures can offer high-quality training, education and occupational development programs. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing external relationships, exceling in a team environment, and will be interested in personal and professional growth within a dynamic organization.
About Building Futures:
Building Futures was founded in 2007 as a construction industry partnership, focused on leveraging the Registered Apprenticeship model of workforce development. For over 100 years, unions and employers have jointly operated registered apprenticeships in the construction occupations to train individuals as highly skilled tradespeople. Our work spans three distinct but highly aligned areas.
For the benefit of low-income Rhode Islanders, Building Futures developed and operates a comprehensive pre-apprenticeship program to prepare diverse, low-income men and women for success in employment as registered apprentices in the building trades. In addition, we work in partnership with a wide range of stakeholders to ensure construction projects provide employment opportunities for apprentices at the appropriate level to meet future demand for skilled labor through our Apprentice Utilization Program. Our pre-apprenticeship and apprentice utilization program together provide an effective system for workforce development in Rhode Island’s construction sector.
From this foundation, we have established Apprenticeship Rhode Island, an initiative to expand the use of Registered Apprenticeship beyond the construction sector. Now, we are helping develop new registered apprenticeship programs in multiple sectors, which include healthcare, information technology, advanced manufacturing and marine trades, among others. Working with employers, industry partnerships, government and community-based organizations, we are spreading the proven model of Registered Apprenticeship to benefit the state’s workforce and economy.
Building Futures has an annual budget of $2.5 million and a team of 16.5 FTE’s. The organization is poised to grow to 25 employees in the coming years.
The Employer Relations Manager is responsible for developing relationships with employers to ensure that Building Futures’ high-quality Registered Apprenticeship (RA) programs are consistent with and support the needs of employers in Rhode Island. In addition, this position is responsible for providing strategic guidance, operational support, and on-going technical assistance for developed Registered Apprenticeship programs to ensure quality operations. This position will also work to integrate Registered Apprenticeship career pathways with related credit-bearing instruction at institutes of higher education, particularly in Rhode Island. While Registered Apprenticeship Program development is the primary focus, this position will also assist external entities develop high quality pre-apprenticeship programs.
This is a full-time, hybrid role working collaboratively with the Apprenticeship Systems Manager and the Apprenticeship Program Coordinator and reporting to the Executive Director of Building Futures. The salary range is $75K-$85K.
Apprenticeship/Pre-Apprenticeship Program Development
- Promote the Registered Apprenticeship to employers/partners, and educate them on the programs with the goal of expanding the Registered Apprenticeship programs across growing industries/sectors in Rhode Island
- Understand employer workforce development needs and identify viable opportunities for the development of high-quality registered apprenticeship programs
- Support employer partners in developing and implementing high-quality registered apprenticeship or pre-apprenticeship programs that address identified workforce development needs, with a focus on creating career pathways for underserved populations
- Support employers to structure on-the-job learning (OJL) to teach specific occupational competencies
- Support employers to structure related technical instruction (RTI) that complements and enhances the OJL program, including certifications as needed. Leverage OJL and RTI to provide college credit towards degree and/or certification obtainment from institutes of higher education
Quality & Technical Assistance
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to Registered Apprenticeship Program sponsors) and other RA partners to ensure seamless and effective program implementation and quality
- Build long-standing employer and partner relationships through the provision of outstanding customer service and demonstrated results
- Develop/write program design into required RA Program Standards and facilitate registration
- Participate in information gathering and writing of required grant reporting and monitoring
- Leverage employer relationships to support communications and marketing efforts, as well as promotional events
- Represent Building Futures at public events, task forces and other external committees and activities as needed
Other Duties as Assigned.
- Ability to take multiple perspectives, understand pain points, and describe how apprenticeship might meet needs required
- A minimum of 2-5 years of experience building employer partnerships. Additionally, experience with registered apprenticeship, career services, internship programs, and/or workforce development a strong plus
- Strong organizational and communication (oral and written) skills and ability to motivate, connect, and facilitate required
- Ability to think flexibly and outside-the-box, with strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills required
- Ability to prioritize multiple competing tasks and activities
- A self-starter
Building Futures’ office is in downtown Providence, RI.
This role requires local and state-wide travel. A valid driver’s license is required.
Building Futures is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Building Futures has partnered with Cindy Joyce of Pillar Search & HR Consulting on the search for their Employer Relations Manager. Please submit your cover letter and resume to Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org.