The Newport Music Festival seeks a visionary, entrepreneurial, and exceptional leader to join us as our Executive Director to lead the organization into our next era of success and recognition.
The Newport Music Festival (NMF) has played a significant cultural role in Rhode Island since its inception in 1969. The Festival has featured some of the greatest international artists of the past 52 years and produced over 2000 concerts in a myriad of venues throughout Newport and surrounding communities. Now in its fifth decade, the Festival continues to scale new heights artistically. The NMF inspires memorable life experiences through world-class artistry in unique, intimate, and historic venues.
Situated in one of the most historic and scenic parts of the United States and deeply rooted in a community of music lovers and philanthropists, the Newport Music Festival is a national treasure. NMF brings together hundreds of musicians and artists from around the world. These musicians, artists, and performers present an exhilarating musical experience for a large and enthusiastic international audience over three weeks each summer. In addition, off-season concerts have become an important extension of the Festival’s reach engaging the local community including children and families.
The NMF has become world renowned for presenting young international artists, providing a showcase for emerging American artists, and performing rare repertoire. The Festival has introduced over 150 debut artists during its illustrious history and has featured guest artists such as Joshua Bell, Yekwon Sunwoo, Marc-André Hamelin, and Imani Winds. The NMF serves as host to a Young Artist Program, and each year a cohort has the opportunity to perform alongside the Festival’s world-class artists and as soloists and ensembles. Performance opportunities include mainstage performances at The Breakers, The Elms, and Blithewold as well as the popular free lawn concerts.
The Executive Director is the organization’s full-time leader. S/he is responsible for the supervision and direction of the NMF’s administrative operations and is responsible for developing NMF’s artistic vision. The Executive Director will play a prominent public role in the vibrant community of Newport, Rhode Island.
• Facilitate board advocacy through collaboration and shared goals
• Motivate and inspire the staff in their work to deliver a successful Festival each year
• Develop and implement the Festival’s artistic vision and strategy
• Build collaborative, harmonious, and enduring relationships with musicians, artists, managers, volunteers,
and other professionals of the Festival
Fundraising and Community Relations
- As NMF’s primary fundraiser, work with key sponsors, donors, and community partners to successfully fund the Festival
- Oversee an effective and engaging fund development and donor stewardship program
- Expand revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support operations and capital needs
- Serve as the primary face of NMF and point-of-contact for government and other civic leaders, partners, press, and media
- Maintain collaborative relationships with other arts organizations and non-profits in the Newport area and nationally
Marketing and Communications
• Develop and implement effective and imaginative marketing strategies to advance NMF’s vision
• Lead the organization’s communications strategy
• Oversee strong customer relations and customer experience processes
• Build NMF’s brand and public presence both locally and nationally
Operations and Administration
- Oversee and mentor a strong staff team
- Foster a positive and collaborative organizational culture
- Manage and train volunteers as ambassadors of the Festival
- Assure best practices in administration and operations
- Collaborate with Business Manager to assure reporting on budgets, financial, and business activities
- Support the effective governance of the Board
Desired Qualifications and Attributes
- A love of classical music and other performing arts
- A minimum of 10 years’ operations management and/or development experience in nonprofit organizations, ideally within the arts and culture field
- Professional performance experience a plus
- Experience negotiating and executing contracts
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills
- Positive “roll up your sleeves” approach to management
- Commitment to mentoring and developing colleagues and staff
- Collaborative leadership style and a commitment to building strong relationships with board members, donors, and community stakeholders
- Creativity and ability to think in new ways that advance the organization’s impact
- Bachelor’s degree/ Master’s degree with musical experience preferred
- Willingness to relocate to Newport, Rhode Island area
The Newport Music Festival welcomes a diverse pool of candidates for this position.
Applications and Inquiries: Egmont Associates has been retained to lead this search on behalf of the Newport Music Festival (www.newportmusic.org). Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to Susan Barry at Egmont Associates: firstname.lastname@example.org