Executive Director, Journey into Education & Teaching (JET)
There is a critical need to diversify the teacher workforce in Massachusetts, especially in urban schools where racial, ethnic, and linguistic disparities are greatest between students and teachers. In Massachusetts, 40% of students identify as people of color, contrasted with only 8% of educators. Test scores, attendance, graduation and suspension rates are negatively affected by demographic mismatches between students and teachers. This racial and cultural disparity must be addressed to change and positively impact educational inequities. Journey into Education and Teaching (JET) promotes equity by mentoring parapeducators from underrepresented groups in urban communities as they obtain a Bachelor’s degree and teaching license, thereby improving economic mobility for adult learners. JET partners with urban school districts and colleges/universities to establish community-based teacher pipelines to ensure a racially, ethnically and linguistically diverse teacher workforce. JET is funded with private foundation grants and by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
JET seeks to identify an Executive Director with the commitment, knowledge, and demonstrated successful experience to develop a racially, ethnically and linguistically diverse teacher workforce in Massachusetts. Working in collaboration with JET’s Board of Directors, the Executive Director must be a strategic thinker and nonprofit entrepreneur capable of building upon and sustaining JET’s vision and mission as defined by its strategic plan. JET operates as a program without walls with regularly scheduled virtual staff meetings. In person meetings with staff, participants and program partners may be scheduled as needed.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provide programmatic leadership and administrative direction
- Direct JET staff and recruit additional staff members based on growing needs and demands
- Manage budgetary and financial matters
- Oversee communications, including website and social media
- Steer external program evaluation
- Build strategic partnerships with external stakeholders (i.e., policymakers, funders, school districts, unions, higher education institutions, state-wide advocacy groups)
- Help secure financial resources to sustain and expand JET
- Collaborate with JET’s Board of Directors
- Graduate degree preferred
- Demonstrated leadership experience in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the non-profit sector
- Strong program management skills in planning and service delivering that are responsive to participants’ needs and designed to promote JET’s mission
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with multiple constituencies
- Highly organized and able to handle multi-faceted responsibilities
- Demonstrated success with fundraising and relationship building with funders
- Demonstrated experience and skill in working with a board of directors
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills
- Fluency in Google suite of applications
- Ability to work remotely
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
If interested, please email a letter of interest and resume in a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘JET Executive Director’ in the Subject line. Candidate materials will be reviewed immediately, with the goal of hiring the most qualified candidate as soon as possible. The position will remain open until filled.