About Overlook FARM:
Overlook Food Awareness Resource of Massachusetts, Inc. (Overlook FARM) is a working farm in Rutland, MA with deep roots in the community that teaches the value of sustainable agriculture and promotes food justice to grow a healthy world. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit established to grow food to teach learners of all ages about the food system and share fresh, nutritious produce with the community through food donations. Founded in 2018, we launched growing and programming in 2021, and 2022 was our first full growing season. In 2023 we have again expanded our growing space as well as our educational program offerings.
Overlook FARM is seeking a full-time Executive Director for oversight of the organization’s strategic, operational, financial, programmatic, educational, and agricultural activities. This position oversees one staff person and reports to the Overlook FARM Board of Directors.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that all programs, production, and activities are aligned with Overlook FARM’s mission.
- Working with the Board to lead Overlook FARM in a manner that fully supports and implements the organization’s mission and goals.
- Maintaining and building mutually beneficial community partnerships.
- Fostering donor relations, overseeing the grant process, and expanding Overlook FARM’s funding network.
- Fiscal management that anticipates operating within the Board-approved budge, ensuring maximum resource utilization.
- Developing and recommending operating and capital budgets; administering expenditures; recommending and overseeing collection and accounting of program participant fees; and establishing and maintaining appropriate records, statistics, reports, and other required documentation.
- In conjunction with the Board, creating and executing a fundraising strategy linked to long-range planning that results in successful and diversified funding from institutions and individuals for annual and capital campaigns.
- Planning and implementation of three seasonal fundraising events.
- Communicating effectively with the Board, including attending all meetings and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to make fully informed decisions.
- Collaborating with Garden and Education Manager to set priorities and expectations for agricultural work and educational programs.
- Maintaining a positive working relationship with appropriate Lilac Hedge Farm staff and ensuring that Overlook FARM complies with all aspects of our lease agreement.
- Building a coalition of volunteers.
- Representing Overlook FARM as its spokesperson to the public and seeking opportunities to promote the organization in public forums.
- Overseeing public communication including advertising, promotion, and social media.
- Sending monthly newsletter and creating annual report.
Programs and Gardening:
- Facilitating educational programs as needed.
- Assisting in garden work and produce distribution as needed.
This position requires creativity, adaptability, excellent organizational, communication, and time-management skills, collaborative capacities, and a sense of humor. Candidates must be eager, self-directed, trustworthy, and willing to get their hands dirty. The ideal candidate possesses:
- A minimum of 3-5 years of recent related experience in managing a nonprofit, including demonstrated leadership in the development and growth of an organization.
- A passion for agriculture and education; enthusiasm for the vision and mission of Overlook FARM and creativity in the promotion of the organization’s mission.
- Significant experience with fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector, including demonstrated success in fundraising.
- An ability to work in a highly collaborative way while still taking a strong leadership and oversight role; ability to handle numerous projects simultaneously with independence of action.
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate effectively with a wide range of constituent groups—i.e., children, youth, parents, volunteers, staff, the public, donors, board members, etc.
- Ability to establish and effectively manage a budget and strategically plan for future expansion and growth of the budget.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including public speaking ability.
- Experience recruiting, managing, training, and evaluating staff, and establishing and maintaining a work environment that encourages staff initiative and growth.
- A talent for "networking" with the financial donors, community leaders, and involved citizens.
- The ability to recruit, supervise, and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Experience planning and executing events.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Google Suite, email, social media, basic website maintenance; knowledge of QuickBooks and accounting skills preferred.
- Ability to climb stairs, stand, and/or sit for long periods of time.
- Reliable transportation, there is no nearby public transportation.
- Satisfactory background, criminal, and reference checks. MA law requires CORI checks for organizations providing activities and programs for children under 18.
Schedule and Pay:
- Full-time, 40 hour/week, $50K-$70K salary
- Some evening and weekend work will be required.
- $300/month health insurance stipend
- Three weeks annual PTO pool – vacation, sick, etc.
- 10 paid holidays
- Parental leave through the state – Overlook FARM pays employee contribution.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until 6/23/23.
Overlook FARM is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to inclusivity – recognizing it makes our organization stronger and our garden more productive.