Compass is an innovative, mission-driven organization that supports families with low incomes to save for their future and access greater economic opportunity. We believe in our clients and in their ability to achieve their goals and dreams. We operate high-quality financial coaching and savings programs and pursue opportunities to shape the national approach to poverty through practice and policy change. Compass is also an emerging leader in a national effort to leverage housing assistance as a platform for economic mobility. We are looking for people who want to be part of taking our programs and our impact to the next level.
For more information, please visit us on our website: www.compassworkingcapital.org.
About the Job
We are looking for mission-driven, results-oriented, and collaborative individuals to lead a team of Financial Coaches in our growing organization. Coaching Managers deliver one-on-one financial coaching and guidance to Compass clients and also supervise a team of Financial Coaches. Coaches support families to set and reach financial goals including, budgeting, increasing income, building credit, buying a home, starting a business, pursuing postsecondary education, or saving for children’s education.
Coaching Managers embody our values:
Believe in People: At Compass, we have a fundamental belief in all clients and their ability to achieve their goals and dreams. Our unique approach to coaching fosters a culture of aspiration, dignity, and hope.
Pursue Excellence: We hold ourselves to the highest professional and ethical standards in every aspect of our work, and we strive to always do better.
Go Further Together: Our team builds trust, respects each other, and acts with care and empathy. We believe in harnessing our strengths to find joy in what we do and in doing this work as a team, and to bring out the best in each other.
- Act as the leader for a team of Financial Coaches to mentor, supervise, and invest in the growth of the coaching team in service of our clients. Provide oversight of and be accountable for the coaching team’s outcomes and performance.
- Provide ongoing, customized one-on-one financial coaching and guidance to Compass clients across five core areas: income growth, credit, debt, savings, and long-term asset building
- Work with clients to set goals and to establish shorter-term action steps to help reach those larger goals. Be a partner, a champion, and a support to clients throughout their journey in the program.
- Provide referrals for resources and services to help clients reach their goals
- Record client information and progress data precisely, accurately, and on time, with a rigorous dedication to confidentiality and data security protocols
- Maintain knowledge about basic elements of the organization’s core FSS program
- Establish and maintain regular communication with Program Manager
Qualifications and Skills
- Belief in all clients and their ability to achieve their goals and dreams
- 2-3 years of previous financial coaching experience
- Cultural humility. Openness to and respect for others’ cultures, identities, and lived experiences
- Commitment to Compass’ mission and passion for working with families with low incomes
- Trustworthy, with strong interpersonal skills. Maturity, self-awareness, empathy, integrity, sound judgment, and ability to establish and build strong, trusting partnerships with clients and coaching team
- Excellent organizational skills. Detail-oriented with the ability to complete work accurately and efficiently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to explain complex information in plain language
- Professional experience, education, or certification in finance (e.g. AFC, CFP)
- Previous experience as a supervisor or in managing or building a diverse team
- Proficiency or fluency in Haitian-Creole, Amharic, or Spanish
This job description is not intended to provide a comprehensive listing of all duties or responsibilities. Job duties and responsibilities may change at any time based on the organization’s strategic plan and program partners.
Healthcare: medical, dental, vision
Retirement plan 401(k) & match
Life insurance & disability Insurance
Paid time off
Paid parental leave
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
Professional development & certification
Pre-tax commuter benefits
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Discounted shopping and entertainment
Voluntary pet insurance and more
This position is based in Boston, MA, or can be remote with travel to the Boston office on occasion, and will be supporting clients in our New England programs. Required hours could include a combination of workday, evening, and weekend hours to accommodate the needs of our clients. Occasional travel to other Compass offices (Lynn, MA) and other communities may be required as our programs grow and broaden geographically. To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines your interest in this role via this link.
Compass is an equal opportunity employer and committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.
Compass, as a contractor of Boston Housing Authority, also provides hiring preference to Section 3 residents. Section 3 Residency is defined as being an authorized resident of Boston Housing Authority or a “low-income resident” of the Boston Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex, Essex, Plymouth, Strafford (NH), and Rockingham (NH) Counties. For the purposes of Section 3, low-income is defined as as 80% of the Area Median Income. To learn more information about Section 3 income eligibility, check out this page on the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Website.