GMA Foundations, www.gmafoundations.com, provides grantmaking, administrative, financial management, and consulting services to foundations and other donors. Our clients are foundations and donors that support a wide range of causes locally, nationally, and internationally.
We are seeking a full-time financial services coordinator/accountant who will provide a variety of bookkeeping and accounting services for private foundation clients and coordinate the delivery of financial services of a small financial services department.
GMA’s mission is rooted in our belief in the transformative nature of philanthropy, that each of us in this field has the capacity to help shape a more just and equitable future. We are accelerating our efforts to become more diverse, culturally competent, inclusive and equitable. We value and promote diversity in our employee’s backgrounds, origins, and ideas and work to maximize employee growth and satisfaction. Read more about our values on our website.
DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Financial Services Coordinator/Accountant will be supervised by GMA’s Chief Executive Officer, while working with several client teams and with GMA’s operations staff. Responsibilities include:
Financial services coordination
- Coordinate services of the Financial Services Department, overseeing, training and supporting two financial services staff.
- Develop and deliver finance related educational content, including written products and workshops, for clients and prospective clients.
- Develop and oversee transition procedures and orientation for new financial services clients.
- Provide strategic advice and an accurate view of the financial services department to GMA’s Directors and President/CEO.
Bookkeeping and accounting
- Perform some client bookkeeping services, as specified in client scope of services, which includes accounting on QuickBooks system, check cutting, processing wires, bank and investment reconciliations, preparing budget to actual reports.
- Reconcile investment activity and post activity to general ledger.
- Generate reports and financial data for board meetings, and present reports, as needed.
- Prepare annual foundation operating budget and budget to actual reports.
- Monitor assigned clients’ progress toward meeting annual payout requirements.
- Coordinate and manage annual audit or review process for assigned clients, with external auditors.
- Prepare annual reports and schedules.
- Prepare reports needed for preparation of annual tax returns, following up with clients’ outside accountants as needed to ensure accuracy of returns.
- Provide advisory services and serve as a resource to client boards of trustees.
- Coordinate the preparation and filing of annual 1099s for independent contractors.
- Support processing quarterly estimated tax payments, as instructed by clients’ outside accountants.
- Serve as liaison with clients’ accountants, banks and investment firms.
- Oversee and support the implementation and maintenance of client internal financial controls.
- Stay abreast of changes in non-profit accounting standards, advising clients as needed.
- Perform or assign consulting work involving financial services.
- Perform other duties as required by the President/CEO.
- Mentor team members to increase their knowledge and understanding of foundation accounting.
- Manage GMA client service agreements for financial services clients, periodic client reviews, and fee schedules, including coordination of client fee reviews with CFO/Director of Financial Services and Operations Manager.
- Identify opportunities to regularly share knowledge with clients, staff and colleagues.
- Participate in marketing activities and contribute to the development of marketing materials for prospective financial services clients.
- Supervisory responsibilities may be relevant as related to managing staff teams, if needed.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education and experience
- Bachelors’ degree in accounting or finance, or a Certificate of accounting if Bachelors’ degree is in an unrelated field and 5 years of experience in a bookkeeping or accounting position: or
- Bachelors’ degree in any field and 9 years of experience in a bookkeeping or accounting position.
- Previous non-profit accounting experience.
- Previous foundation experience and interaction with boards of directors.
- Previous experience managing client relationships.
- Previous supervisory experience.
Qualifications (knowledge and skills)
- Understanding of confidentiality and ethical standards required of accounting professionals.
- High level of proficiency in QuickBooks Premier Plus and MS Office (particularly Excel).
- Superior organizational skills and proven ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to draft business correspondence and write reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage client relationships in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner.
- Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently in a reliable manner, with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of additional software/applications – Bill.com, ShareFile, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
Our work week is M – F, from 9 AM to 5 PM. Our office is located in downtown Boston, and staff members may take advantage of our new hybrid work policy after one month, with at least two-days in our Boston office weekly. Our schedule often includes early morning and evening meetings, and occasional weekend meetings. Flexible office hours are arranged, as appropriate. GMA staff occasionally travel to various locations, urban and rural, to participate in client meetings and educational programs. Valid drivers’ license or ability to travel by public transportation is required. The position requires long hours sitting, as well as some standing and walking, and using office equipment and computers, and includes some light lifting of supplies and materials.
Salary range: $80,000 - $95,000
GMA is an employee friendly company offering excellent benefits: paid vacation, holiday and sick days; health, vision, and dental insurance; medical and dependent care FSA; paid family and medical leave; and a 401k plan with employer match.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Leah Even Chorev at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be considered on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled. Submission of application materials by June 20 is encouraged. Please include “Application for Financial Services Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.