Project Bread connects people and communities in Massachusetts to reliable sources of food while advocating for policies that make food more accessible—so that no one goes hungry. To assist us in meeting our mission, Project Bread – The Walk for Hunger is seeking a FoodSource Hotline Counselor to join our growing team.
At Project Bread, we have a deep commitment to creating positive social change and recognize that hunger and racism are inextricably linked. We work in a fast-paced environment that values learning, innovation, and diverse perspectives. Knowing its centrality to our work, Project Bread is committed to equity and inclusion. We aspire to build a diverse team, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
Supervisor: Senior Director of SNAP Programs
Salary Range: $50,000-$55,000
The Role: Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline is an information and referral service designed to connect Massachusetts residents in need with a variety of food resources in their local community. FoodSource Hotline counselors provide direct assistance to 25,000+ callers per year who are struggling with food insecurity. Working as part of a team, counselors listen to the individual stories of each caller; refer them to community food programs and other helpful resources, as well as provide over-the-phone SNAP (formerly food stamps) screening and application assistance and follow-up with applicants throughout the process.
- Screen callers to determine their eligibility for the SNAP/Food Stamp program and assist callers over the phone to complete a SNAP application.
- Provide information to current recipients, applicants, and social service agencies, regarding SNAP procedures, regulations, and rights.
- Refer those in need to food resources such as food pantries, WIC, home delivered meals, school and summer meals, as well as other agencies that can assist with food and non-food related needs.
- Input all relevant call data accurately into the FoodSource Hotline Salesforce database.
- Answer LiveChat Instant messages, update local food resources information in the database, and assist with reports and research.
- Participate in the annual Walk for Hunger, including working as event staff the weekend of the Walk, attending pre-Walk events as assigned, and supporting Walk for Hunger fundraising efforts.
- Participate in organization-wide events and meetings and perform other program duties as assigned.
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. Project Bread recognizes this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate most of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- High school diploma with 3+ years of experience
- Bilingual in Haitian Creole preferred
- Database and/or website content management experience
- Thrives in a team environment
- Customer service, public service preferred
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor
All employees are currently working a hybrid remote and in-office model and are expected to spend at least one day in office per week. The FoodSource Hotline Counselor will need to be present in the East Boston office on a regular basis.
For the safety and protection of Project Bread Staff & Constituents we do have a COVID-19 Vaccine Policy that requires all staff to be fully vaccinated per the CDC definition. Accommodation requests will be considered through our normal request process.
Benefits include Blue Cross Blue Shield health and dental, flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, life and long-term disability, contributions to commuting costs and wellness expenses, and unlimited paid time off.
Please apply here by completing our application form and uploading your resume and cover letter in MS Word or Pdf format.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Project Bread is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to request special accommodations during the interview process.