Request for Qualifications: Fund Development Consultant
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Massachusetts (NAMI Mass) is seeking a fund development consultant to conduct an internal analysis of the organization’s current funding, a landscape analysis of potential sources, and to work with a small team in the creation of a comprehensive Fund Development Plan.
Founded in 1982, NAMI Mass is a nonprofit grassroots organization that improves the quality of life for people diagnosed with mental health conditions and their families. Our services include a helpline, support groups, educational classes, community outreach and education to schools, first responders, workplaces and more, plus advocacy and a legislative agenda.
NAMI Mass has an operating budget of almost $2.5 million. Twenty five percent of the budget comes from a signature annual fundraising event. Twenty five percent comes from public funding, and the majority of the remaining income comes from corporate and individual donations. We also receive a small amount of funding from grants. For our fiscal year 2023 which runs from April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023, NAMI Mass has increased its annual budget by $500,000.
Scope of Services
The consultant will complete an assessment and analysis of the organization’s funding base. A small amount of time will also be dedicated to assessing the organization’s environment for funding. The consultant will set financial goals for the organization in terms of how to diversify and grow our funding to raise an additional $500,000 annually. They will work with a team of four that includes staff and board members to develop a strategy of how to reach these goals, and then will create a Fund Development Plan detailing how to implement this strategy.
The consultant will deliver a Fund Development Plan for NAMI Mass by September 30, 2022. The Fund Development Plan must include the following information:
- An assessment and analysis of the organization’s current funding base, including a breakdown of all major categories of income
- A brief evaluation of the current funding environment for mental health and state level work
- A landscape analysis of funding sources and opportunities to diversify and expand NAMI Mass’ funding
- A list of financial goals specifying how much the organization should raise from which categories of income to expand funding
- High level strategies for achieving financial goals and expansion and diversification fundraising.
- A 3-year implementation timeline
The consultant will receive compensation in the range of $10,000-$15,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The consultant must have the following qualifications:
- Experience completing assessments and Fund Development Plans for nonprofit organizations
- Experience leveraging federal funding, preferably ARPA funds
- Relevant professional connections in Massachusetts
- Experience in mental health or healthcare sector preferred
Please include following documents in your submission:
- Three samples of past Fund Development Plans you have developed
- Provide brief answers to the following questions in a Word document:
- Have you worked with similar sized organizations in the past?
- What sectors have you worked in (health, mental health, etc.)?
- What types of public funding have you assisted organizations to secure? What is your knowledge and experience leveraging ARPA funds?
- Three professional references
Review Process and Timeline
You can expect to hear back from us within three weeks of submission. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview.