The Organization and Role
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Helpline, RightsCon, Grants, Legal, and Operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
Our Development arm is seeking a full-time Grant Writer to support the organization’s growing portfolio of funding relationships. This role will report to our Development Manager, working closely with senior leaders and other Development team members.
This position presents the right candidate with the unique opportunity to be an important part of a rapidly growing human rights organization and contribute to the critical task of strengthening organizational sustainability. As part of a growing organization and a growing team, there is opportunity for career advancement and the evolution of the role.
What You Will Do
As a Grant Writer you will contribute significantly to the writing and editing of compelling grant proposals and reports to foundations, governments, and other stakeholders who support our work. You’ll work with a diverse team with ample opportunity to assist in transforming program or research plans and outcomes into organized and persuasive proposals and reports. In addition, you will also have the opportunity to:
- Perform prospect research to identify new prospective funders
- Prepare and submit funding inquiries and concept notes
- Track and monitor major grant deadlines - from submission to final decision to closeout
- Support the administration of grant agreements, including filing
- Prepare and submit narrative reports as required by grant agreements
- Write progress reports and prepare presentations to communicate the major accomplishments of Access Now’s programs and initiatives
- Coordinate with finance, accounting, and legal leads on financial and other components of grants as needed
- Coordinate with programmatic staff on grant-related developments as needed, including the tracking of outcomes for reporting purposes through the year
- Work with others to prepare key fundraising and donor cultivation materials (such as an Annual Report, funder briefing documents, and more)
- Maintain a working knowledge of the interests and expectations of the organization’s major funders.
As a top candidate you will bring:
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Capability to collect, synthesize, and recycle large amounts of writing
- Attention to detail and ability to track and meet deadlines
- Strong capacity to contribute in team environments
- Experience with Salesforce, proposal-writing, and institutional donors preferred
The ideal candidate is an exceptional writer and researcher who is passionate about human rights and excited to support a mission-driven organization by helping to secure core and project-based funding from foundations, governments, and other funders.
This is a full-time position that can be located in our Berlin, Brussels, New York City, San José (CR), Tunis, or Washington, DC offices. At this time Access Now Team Members are working remotely full-time, with a likely return to offices later in 2021. The successful candidate must have the legal right-to-work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive salary and benefits packages that align to its office localities. For candidates in the US, Initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated between $55,000 and $65,000 USD annually and will be determined by depth of experience and preparation. Benefits for this specific role, if filled within the US, include paid healthcare - medical, dental, and vision insurance - as well as access to a 401k retirement savings program match. If filled in one of the other locations listed above, salary and benefits will align to the corresponding region accordingly. While specific compensation, insurance, and other benefits vary by region, all Access Now Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance...including generous paid time-off and leave programs
- Dedicated professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and wellness supports for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge, including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Cover letter outlining your specific interest and suitability for this role
- A professional writing sample (maximum 2-3 pages) to aid in identifying and advancing strong candidates for the position
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted, Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
Application Link: https://accessnow.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=73&source=aWQ9NDg%3D
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity. We seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.