Hyde Square Task Force (HSTF) is an award-winning creative youth development organization based in the Hyde–Jackson Square area of Jamaica Plain/Roxbury, known as Boston’s Latin Quarter Founded over 30 years ago, HSTF now engages close to 500 youth ages 6–25 in college and career preparation, Afro-Latin arts and cultural enrichment, and community-building initiatives. In doing so, we ensure that youth have the arts and educational opportunities they need and deserve in order to be successful, and that their voices and cultures are valued and celebrated in Boston’s Latin Quarter and beyond. Our work is guided by our mission: to amplify the power, creativity, and voices of youth, connecting them to Afro-Latin culture and heritage so they can create a diverse, vibrant Latin Quarter and build a just, equitable Boston.
Position: Latin Quarter Coordinator, full-time, reports to the Senior Manager of Organizing and Engagement, must work out of HSTF’s Jamaica Plain office the majority of the time.
Job Summary: We seek a creative, energetic, and entrepreneurial Latin Quarter Coordinator to support the implementation of the Latin Quarter’s District Plan, which includes an annual series of arts and cultural events/programming, volunteer and partner engagement, and other place-keeping activities that help the cultural district thrive.
Program Administration & Coordination
- Work with Boston’s Latin Quarter Advisory Committee, HSTF Leadership Team, and outside facilitators/consultants to strategize and carry out the vision and goals for Boston’s Latin Quarter, which include the promotion of Afro-Latin arts and culture and supporting local Latinx businesses.
- Maintain positive relationships with the Latin Quarter’s diverse range of community partners and stakeholders.
- Work with consultants, vendors, volunteers, and contractors for the Latin Quarter.
- Support the implementation (logistics, coordination, outreach, etc.) of various community events for the district.
- Along with the Executive Director and Senior Manager, represent the Latin Quarter at public and coalition meetings.
- Support Latin Quarter Advisory Committee, including preparation for and participation in regular meetings and ongoing engagement in the long-term plans for the district.
- Maintain a Latin Quarter calendar of events and meeting schedule.
- In coordination with the communications team and other related HSTF staff, help promote and market Latin Quarter events and initiatives to increase visibility for the district and overall engagement.
Program Planning and Implementation
- In close coordination with HSTF Arts Manager and other internal stakeholders, help to develop and implement programming (performances, events, meetings, etc.) that will strengthen Boston’s Latin Quarter.
- Manage all project timelines and deliverables.
- Help to create, implement, and maintain a program tracking and evaluation process.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a framework to educate developers about the Latin Quarter.
- Support the implementation of Boston’s Latin Quarter District Plan.
- Help to establish and maintain a network of emerging and established Afro-Latinx artists.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategy to support Latinx-owned/run businesses.
- Help carry out Latin Quarter-related contract/grants deliverables.
- Provide the development team with data/information needed for grant reporting purposes.
- Work with the Senior Manager of Organizing and Engagement on managing the Latin Quarter’s annual budget.
- Actively contribute to the implementation of organizational strategic goals and objectives.
- Participate and actively contribute to organization-wide events, activities, committees, and initiatives as needed.
- The above is not an exhaustive list of every duty and responsibility required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Some experience with planning, coordinating, and implementing events.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and communities, particularly with the Latinx community
- Familiarity with Jamaica Plain, particularly the area comprising Boston’s Latin Quarter, its history, stakeholders, and relevant community assets and needs
- Excellent listening skills, including the ability to incorporate a variety of diverse viewpoints and reach consensus
- Able to meet deadlines and ensure completion of projects on schedule
- High level of computer literacy including Google Suite, MS Office Suite, and Salesforce
- Skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills
- Extremely organized, reliable, punctual, accurate, and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team player
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Ability to remain focused in the face of pressure, delivering against timelines without being intimidated by tasks/time limitations
- Values alignment with HSTF’s mission, vision, and goals
- Commitment to equity and inclusion
- Flexibility to work hours as program/organizational needs change (occasional weekends and evenings)
- Must be a self-starter with strong problem-solving skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Successfully pass CORI and SORI background checks
- Must be authorized to work legally in the United States
- Spanish proficiency (spoken and written) highly preferred
Salary: Starting at $45,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include: medical and disability insurance, parking, vacation time, personal days, paid holidays, paid week off December 24th - January 1st, sick time, 403(b) program, and a supportive work environment.
How to apply: Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and three references on or before October 1, 2023, to BLQCoordinator@hydesquare.org. Please include the position, Latin Quarter Coordinator, in the subject line of the email. No walk-ins or phone calls please.
Hyde Square Task Force is an equal opportunity provider and employer. We value having a diverse staff who are representative of the community we serve and bring to our organization a variety of traditions, experiences, and points of view. Individuals of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.