ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Program Manager will support Generation Citizen’s program by developing relationships with teachers and administrators in school districts throughout the region and providing instructional coaching and support to teachers. The Program Manager will also own special projects associated with the development and execution of the New England Policy & Advocacy strategy, working alongside organizational staff and community partners to run coalitions and advance our public policy agenda.
This position is a part of a local team that includes two additional Program Managers, an Associate Director of Program, Director of Program and an Executive Director—collaboration with these colleagues is essential to the success of this role. Additionally, opportunities to work closely with colleagues in GC’s sites across the country (California, Oklahoma, Texas, and New York) and with the national team are common for strategic planning, organization-wide projects, and day-to-day troubleshooting.
This person will report to the Associate Director, Program in New England.
Program (approx. 55%)
- Manage a caseload of teacher, school, and district relationships in diverse communities, within the framework of GC’s national strategic plan and local strategic priorities.
- Lead curriculum and pedagogy professional development workshops in collaboration with National staff.
- Serve as an instructional coach for a set of New England teachers and, as needed, remote national teachers in order to support them in successfully implementing GC’s curriculum, pedagogy and equitable civic learning practices,
- Create and manage semesterly teacher communication and coaching plans in collaboration with the New England program team.
- Steward and build strong relationships with district partners with an eye towards progressing multi-year partnerships toward goals and institutionalizing Action Civics within schools and the overall community.
- Work with our Manager, Impact to use Salesforce and UpMetrics to track, analyze and report on programmatic data.
- Contribute to overall site program and quality goals.
- Coordinate and lead external presentations, workshops, and school-based and citywide end-of-semester Civics Day events.
Policy & Advocacy (approx. 40%)
- Support the New England Executive Director with leading the state-based civic learning coalitions, including facilitating monthly coalition meetings, maintaining key relationships with partner organizations and managing membership and recruitment efforts with an eye towards diverse and representative membership
- Cultivate and build powerful relationships with key policymakers and influencers in New England, in service of our agenda and our coalition partners, supporting local and state level policy and advocacy efforts to advance equity in civic learning.
- Support in the production of media publications and civics research studies, highlighting youth leaders as critical actors and establishing civic education reform as a lever for addressing racial inequality
- Coordinate and provide professional development and leadership opportunities directly to youth to support student led policy and advocacy efforts within New England.
- Participate in Policy & Advocacy strategies at the national level
Development (approx. 5%)
- Support New England’s fundraising strategy by providing a strong programmatic lens when building relationships with funders and by supporting grant writing, in partnership with the Executive Director.
- 2+ years of educational programming experience, with a preference for a candidate with classroom and teacher leadership or coaching experience
- Invested time -- personally or professionally -- in the political process including engaging in the research necessary to construct and informed, well-rounded perspective
- While all GC teammates are currently working remotely, this person should be based in New England, with an ability to commute to districts throughout Massachusetts and Rhode Island, as needed, once in-person school resumes. A driver’s license is required for traveling to partnering school/district sites.
- Vaccinated against COVID-19 or willingness to become fully-vaccinated within two (2) months of the first date of employment. Accommodations will be considered, in line with Generation Citizen’s internal policies.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS & NECESSARY COMPETENCIES:
- A deep commitment to and passion for Generation Citizen’s mission
- Strong, dynamic facilitation and coaching skills
- Process-oriented and capable of implementing and maintaining strong systems
- A strong relationship-builder, empathetic listener, and giver (and receiver!) of direct and supportive feedback, in service of our mission and in order to connect to, engage, and inspire others towards outcomes, as well as for personal growth
- Ability to build effective partnerships in relation to both our program and policy work, and motivate individuals and groups towards a common goal
- Highly collaborative spirit, with a strong ability to project manage and get things done (individually and through others) in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; and strong ownership of personal actions and team outcomes
- Respects and appreciates the differing values, perspectives, and cultures of stakeholders, school partners, and colleagues, with an interest and aptitude to engage with those groups on issues related to racial, economic, and gender equity
- Eagerness to understand the structures that impact the civic engagement gap and commit to work to close this gap by affecting the education system
- Strong time management skills and an ability to stay organized and give attention to details while managing diverse tasks, activities, and projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to maintain professionalism with diverse stakeholders
- Comfort working with Google Docs/Sheets and MS Office applications; comfort using technology and ability to provide remote support to other GC sites across the country
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the application and be sure to attach a resume and cover letter. An HR representative will reach out to qualified candidates to schedule a phone screen. We would appreciate it if you could refrain from reaching out to GC team members directly to inquire about the position or status of your application.