Reports to: Patty Diaz-Andrade, New Delivery Models Lead
Start date: By September 1, 2020
Location: Preferred within a OneGoal region: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA, but flexible within the following states: Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C., Wisconsin
Position Filled By: September 2020
Potential and talent are equally distributed, but opportunity is not. Nearly identical percentages of 10th graders from low- and high-income communities aspire to complete a postsecondary education. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas. At OneGoal, we believe that all students – not just those with the best grades or the most resources – have the ability and deserve the opportunity to earn a postsecondary degree. What’s more, we have developed a solution that works, and we believe this problem is solvable within our lifetime.
We are looking for individuals who will join OneGoal during this unique window in time:
- In just 10 years, OneGoal has grown from 32 students in one city to some 13,000 students in six regions.
- OneGoal’s teacher-led, in-school, three-year college access and success model is game-changing. While nationwide, only 22% of kids in low-income communities earn a postsecondary degree, 81% of OneGoal Fellows (students) enroll in a postsecondary institution and 86% of those who enroll persist one year later.
- Over the next five years we have set our sights on unprecedented goals: first to attain a 60% graduation rate among Fellows and to develop new delivery models to dramatically grow our reach.
District Partnership Pilot Team
The District Partnerships Pilot (DPP) exists to support OneGoal in creating a post-secondary solution for districts that is scalable, affordable on public dollars, and impactful. Partner districts will transform the post-secondary pathway experience for students across the district by building the capacity of multiple adults already in those districts who directly impact critical post-secondary outcomes, and by embedding post-secondary success programs/systems/tools into the fabric of K12 education. DPP is intentionally developing a model that reduces the costs of achieving impact and allows OneGoal to reach districts and students anywhere in the country, not just those in our existing regions.
To achieve this mission, our overarching goals are to: (1) improve student post-secondary outcomes in partner DPP districts, (2) reduce our reliance on philanthropy, over time, through larger investments of public dollars in the program, (3) support districts to institutionalize sustainable and system-level post-secondary practices and processes, and (4) hire, retain, and grow a highly talented DPP team that continuously innovates in support of our broader vision: to close the degree divide in America.
To understand our success against these four goals, this team is relentlessly focused on exploring two overarching hypothesis/questions:
- Can we design a program model that districts pay the full cost of (direct and indirect)?
- Can we design a program model that achieves improved post-secondary outcomes among participating students when compared to a TBD counterfactual?
Ultimately, DPP seeks to be sustained entirely through earned revenue from school districts. Our growth strategy must match this ambitious goal.
You are driven by a strong belief that all students deserve an equitable opportunity to achieve their greatest post-secondary aspirations. As the Managing Director of Growth, your focus will be connecting OneGoal to district purchasers so that we may test the two hypotheses listed above. Tactically, you will (1) oversee the execution against a new marketing and sales strategy that builds awareness of OneGoal among district purchasers over the long-term, (2) expand and convert a pipeline of district customers (3) establish a robust sales management process that supports management of hundreds of relationships, nationally, (4) manage a team of high-performing portfolio/account managers that are responsible for building the OneGoal DPP brand, stewarding key decision makers to partner with OneGoal, secure public dollars in support of the partnership, and ensuring high renewal rates over the long-term, and (5) informs the product design team of market insights that could help drive the direction of our product strategy.
- Own the overall growth and sales strategy that enables us to reach our growth and revenue targets
- Develop, assess, and recommend strategies for achieving our growth targets; i.e., enrolling 1,300 students in Fall 2021 (from 250 in Fall 2020) and eventually scaling to ~24,000 students in 2024.
- Define and manage a sales pipeline, including setting up the operational structure to do so, that names the key stages of district engagement in our sales process and a set of actions that the DPP sales team takes in response
- Manage relationships with OneGoal marketing team to ensure that our marketing content meets its key audience, including the suite of resources that we distribute throughout the sales pipeline to continue engagement
- Provide insight into the product development strategy to keep up with market demands
- In collaboration with the New Delivery Models Lead, set and own the budget for all DPP-related marketing and sales work
- Establish and maintain a monitoring system to ensure the strategies we pursue are leading to our growth and revenue targets
- Build a team of diverse, exceptional salespeople and account managers
- Coaching and building capacity of existing sales member
- Determining the team size and roles you need to execute on the vision and strategy for the team, then hiring for those new members
- Developing performance management and evaluation processes
Though the Managing Director of Growth is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You believe deeply in our Fellows and their ability to graduate from a post-secondary institution.
- You are committed to supporting OneGoal’s core values, which are anchored in becoming an anti-racist organization
- You believe that students in underserved communities face real systemic barriers to post-secondary completion, and that empowering their families, their teachers and themselves to own their unique path will ensure they overcome those barriers
- You believe that districts play a critical role in achieving the type of scale we need to ultimately close the degree divide in our nation; they are our channel to scale
You are an effective team lead with a proven track record/evidence that you achieve Sales goals.
- You have experience managing a group of high-performing team members to execute against a set of rigorous goals
- You meet or exceed sales targets
- You see yourself as a coach and enjoy supporting team members to achieve their highest potential
- You understand how to set clear expectations, manage performance, and align resources to team member needs
You know “Sales” and can apply that knowledge in the non-profit space.
- You understand the sales process
- You have built systems to establish and manage a robust sales process for hundreds/thousands of potential clients
- You understand the leading indicators that ensure key performance indicators connected to achieving sales/growth targets are achieved; you leverage data regularly to understand progress to goal against these indicators
- You understand district budgeting processes and can manage a team to ensure OneGoal is successful at securing public funds
Your work is detail-orientated, but you can operate at various altitudes.
- You pay attention to small details in order to standardize the district sales process
- You connect the day-to-day work to a “big picture” vision for the type of growth DPP is capable of achieving long-term
You are comfortable in “the grey” and can establish “new” systems where none exist.
- You see challenges as opportunities to take your critical thinking skills and impact to the next level. You operate with a strong sense of personal responsibility when it comes to solving challenges.
- You can make important decisions with less than perfect information ensuring that perfect is not the enemy of good
You value working collaboratively and take personal responsibility for your actions and your team’s outcomes.
- You are constantly learning, adapting and developing; you constantly create and seize opportunities to refine your knowledge, skills and mindsets
- You build authentic, trusting relationships with your colleagues through meaningful listening and caring for people as individuals – this allows you to affect change by leveraging your relationships to motivate and influence
- When there is a setback you accept responsibility and accountability. You proactively seek feedback, practice active listening, act on feedback as necessary, all because you seek to be the best version of yourself for Fellows.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- 5+ years of experience in sales/marketing strategy and management
- Experience managing a team to successful execution of ambitious sales goals
- Knowledge of the K12 space with direct experience selling a program/product to school districts and non-profits (preferred)
- Familiarity with sales management tools like Salesforce, etc.
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to travel a few days every month
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 150 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package* which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, life insurance, retirement matching, paid parental leave, and more. We also offer a generous paid time off policy, including 20 paid vacation days, 13 holidays and 6 wellness days.
*OneGoal reserves the right to change benefits at any time according to business need.
You Believe in People and are Committed to Equity and Inclusion
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
Throw Your Hat In The Ring
Apply by following the link below to submit an online application, which includes attaching an updated resume and cover letter explaining your passion and alignment to this position.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of actual or perceived sex, race, color, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability (mental or physical), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, parenthood, genetic characteristic or information, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.