Currently in Massachusetts, two thirds of children from low-income families enter kindergarten without the literacy skills they need to succeed. Raising A Reader MA (RAR-MA) directly addresses this need by providing the books and family education to ensure all children enter kindergarten with a foundation for success. Founded in 2006, RAR-MA annually serves approximately 7,500 children. Over the next few years, RAR-MA plans to deepen its impact in Massachusetts. We are seeking a bilingual Program Manager with passion for our mission to manage a portfolio of program partners to ensure effective implementation of the RAR-MA program in alignment with fidelity to our model.
REPORTS TO: Senior Program Manager
START DATE: January 2022
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Diversity is at the core of our Mission, Vision, and Values. We are an inclusive organization, at all levels. To us, this signifies a commitment to being a workplace that fully embraces and reflects the different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints of our team and the community groups we serve. We seek qualified candidates who hold these values and help us to continue to recognize and celebrate the diversity among us, our community, and the world. RAR-MA is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to broaden our team to reflect that strength, and we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
The Program Manager (PM) is a vital member of the program team who is primarily responsible for leading efforts to ensure parents and caregivers are exposed to our dual intervention program. This includes managing existing partnerships with early education organizations, facilitating events for families with children birth to six, building awareness for RAR-MA in the community, and participating in strategic projects to deepen or expand RAR-MA programming.
This position is ideal for a professional who thrives on developing strong relationships, has experience training adults, seeks to advance early literacy at home, and is solution oriented with an entrepreneurial spirit. The PM will be supervised by a Senior Program Manager and collaborate with all program staff.
Program Partnerships: Maintain and develop relationships with assigned partners across primarily Metro Boston. Collaborate with partners to ensure effective RAR-MA implementation in alignment and with fidelity to our model. Facilitate periodic training, regular communications and activities, and ongoing support and coaching in accordance with the annual program calendar. Explore expansion of existing partnerships in the assigned portfolio and support recruitment as needed to meet regional goals.
Family Engagement: Plan, coordinate, and facilitate family engagement dialogic reading workshops and events onsite and online. Participate in RAR-MA and partner-led community events that engage with families with children age birth to six. Promote events and support high engagement through effective RAR-MA and partner supported outreach and marketing.
Community Presence: Collaborate with community stakeholders, including local literacy councils, libraries, and Community Ambassador volunteers in the assigned region. Develop a deep understanding of early literacy initiatives and organizations in the community. Attend events and actively participate in community groups as appropriate to effectively promote RAR-MA.
Program Monitoring and Reporting: Utilize Salesforce to document program activities in an accurate and timely manner throughout the year to track progress towards annual, regional, and organizational goals. Collect family and partner stories to demonstrate program impact as needed. Provide input into annual program budget development and manage program expenses at a portfolio level. Respond to additional data or informational requests to support grant writing and reporting, funder inquiries, or communications and development initiatives.
Strategic Projects and Events: Lead or support program initiatives, such as statewide events, curriculum or program delivery improvements, project-based intern or volunteer management, and annual grant deliverables that align with organizational needs. Support cross-department projects or events as requested.
Skills and Qualifications
- You are passionate about the RAR-MA mission and have a strong commitment to improving the lives of young children and families.
- You come with 3+ years of experience in early childhood development, education, literacy, or social services.
- You are an entrepreneurial and creative critical thinker with the motivation and ability to establish RAR-MA as an effective early literacy leader in the community.
- You are committed to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in the workplace and the community.
- You have a respectful communication style and practice cultural humility.
- You have excellent interpersonal communication skills, including experience with relationship management and group facilitation with adults.
- You are committed to working across teams and perspectives to achieve shared goals and outcomes.
- You are a forever learner who is solutions oriented and embraces a growth mindset for continuous improvement in the role.
- You have excellent time management and can effectively balance competing priorities.
- You are comfortable with technology, such as Microsoft 365 (e.g., OneDrive, Office), GSuite, Canva, and Zoom. Experience with Salesforce or another database planform is a plus.
- You are a self-starter with a demonstrated ability to work autonomously and effectively without close supervision, yet also have the judgement to ask for help when needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional/life experience in Education, Human Services, or another related field.
- Bilingual in English and one other language- preferably a language prevalent in communities we serve.
- Car and valid U.S. driver’s license. This position requires traveling within the community, to and from office site locations.
This position is full time, based in Chelsea, MA with an annual salary of $50,000.00 commensurate with experience. Work can be flexible to allow for office time and remote work, while recognizing that certain events, times, and needs will influence the exact schedule, allowing for attendance at events in the evening and/or weekends as needed. RAR-MA offers a competitive benefits package, including holiday, sick, vacation and personal paid time, health, dental, and life insurance, and a flexible, collaborative environment as part of the overall compensation considerations.
Note: Vaccination is a condition of employment. RAR-MA has a vaccination policy that was created based on the information available from the CDC and local authorities as of 09/01/2021. We understand that information is evolving daily, and we reserve the right to amend and/or update the policy based on updated guidance from the CDC, local authorities, and/or business needs.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter describing how your skill set and experience meet the qualifications of the position and including how you heard about this opportunity, both in PDF format. Please include the email subject, “Program Manager application” to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. RAR-MA staff will begin reviewing applications upon receipt.