Reports To: Managing Director
FLSA Status: Exempt, full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience; range begins at $45,000/year
Desired Start Date: February 1, 2021
Job location: Initially: remote; long-term: negotiable but with some presence in Boston
CSC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Professionals of all identities, backgrounds, and abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
CSC seeks a Marketing and Sales Manager who will focus on developing marketing channels for CSC’s artistic and educational programs. The primary goals of the Manager are to:
● Expand the reach of Free Shakespeare on the Boston Common – especially into Boston’s neighborhoods and new audiences – and Academy programs.
● Develop and grow revenue streams from our artistic and education programs.
● Support the development of education and artistic programs through market research, including customer analysis, benchmarking, and opportunity analysis.
Post-pandemic, CSC expects to build its year-round artistic programming and greatly expand its training and educational offerings. The Sales and Marketing Manager will play an integral part in helping CSC achieve its planned goals, while also looking for new opportunities to expand its reach.
CSC’s mission and values are summarized on our website at commshakes.org/mission-history. The Sales and Marketing Manager’s experience should reflect a commitment to these values.
Specific tasks include:
Promotions Management: Create and implement a marketing and sales plan for artistic and educational programs, including the use of social media, e-blasts, other digital outlets, advertising, as well as some print media. Contribute to the writing and editing of outgoing written materials and maintain segmented lists of contacts through Mail Chimp.
Sales: Develop channels for increasing on-site earned revenue at Shakespeare on the Common, including group sales, playbill ad sales, concessions, chair rentals and merchandise sales, and increase applications and sales for our Academy programs.
Data Management: Develop methods of gathering and tracking audience data through digital analytics, on-site surveys and counts, and supplementary communications. Organize data to communicate clear narratives to stakeholder segments.
Collateral Management: Manage relationships with media vendors like photographers, videographers, and graphic designers. Organize and manage digital assets and work with management to archive print assets. For small tasks, learn media editing software as needed.
Institutional Marketing: Collaborate with CSC senior staff and external consultants on institutional marketing efforts. Work with graphic design consultants to maintain brand standards.
Audience Services: For small scale events, coordinate registration and box office efforts with support from other team members. For large scale events, work with a Front of House team to collect audience data and to promote future events.
Relationship Building: Communicate effectively and nurture relationships with many different constituencies, including CSC donors; community organizations; vendors; media companies; other area arts organizations; and staff and other employees.
● Two or more years of related experience and/or training
● Demonstrated ability to build revenue and meet targets, including identifying and exploiting new revenue streams
● Able to draw conclusions from data, and use them to inform decisions
● Excellent sense for visual and written storytelling; ability to craft compelling messages and guide the creation of high-quality promotional materials
● Experience in digital media, including websites, email marketing, and social media
● Interest and/or involvement in the arts industry, especially theatre/performing arts
● Must be a self-starter, able to operate both independently and as a member of a small, highly collaborative team
● The ideal candidate will exude an energetic, outgoing, confident personal style with a highly developed sense of humor and excellent interpersonal communication skills
Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sales and Marketing Manager” by December 15, 2020. Please apply early; the hiring process will commence as soon as a suitable applicant pool is found. No phone calls, please.
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company (CSC) is dedicated to bringing the works of William Shakespeare to a wider public in vital and contemporary productions, and to exploring Shakespeare’s plays in innovative and creative ways. Best known for its free annual productions on Boston Common, CSC also occasionally presents fully staged indoor productions and play reading events throughout the year and has recently introduced a robust series of online and virtual programming. The company runs training programs for pre-professional, early-stage and mid-career actors and directors through the CSC Academy, and serves middle and high school audiences and teachers through its Stage2, Shakespeare-for-young-audiences program.