SCI AmeriCorps Member Service Position 2022-2023
The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by connecting young people with the relationships, experiences, and resources they need to succeed. Members implement volunteer outreach and capacity building activities that increase volunteer participation and provide leadership training and community service opportunities for youth. Since 2007, SCI AmeriCorps members have served at various host sites in northeastern Massachusetts that are aligned with the mission of Social Capital Inc. (SCI).
SCI AmeriCorps is currently looking for candidates to fill positions for a 1700-hour service term from September 2022 to June 2023. In addition to supporting the capacity building of the host site, the goal is to empower youth to positively impact their communities and build their social capital through collaboration with peers and adults while developing leadership skills.
HOST SITE OPPORTUNITY ─ Network for Social Justice (Winchester)
At Network for Social Justice (NFSJ), the SCI AmeriCorps member will:
- Participate fully in all SCI AmeriCorps orientations and trainings
- Help realize NFSJ’s mission to foster a movement for systemic change to advance equity and inclusion in the town of Winchester and beyond
- Support the expansion of NFSJ’s youth internship program with students from local schools, including student recruitment, partner communication, intern workshops, meeting coordination, program design, visibility and event planning (e.g. MLK Day of Community Service in January, PRIDEfest in June, etc.)
- Work with Executive Director on establishing a model for a youth social justice service project and/or independent learning project through NFSJ
- Assist the volunteer-run committees focused on immigrant justice, town response and advocacy, indigenous peoples’ rights, and schools and youth engagement
- Collaborate on strengthening mentorship and sustainable youth engagement programming
- Research, codify and implement procedures to conduct better systemic outreach into the community to attract new, diverse volunteers and program participants to the NFSJ and to communicate with existing stakeholders (Bilingual in Spanish, Portuguese, or Mandarin is a plus)
- Complete a Social Capital Youth Project for NFSJ’s youth enrichment programming
- Able to commit to Full-Time service in local communities with diverse residents
- Effective communication skills to conduct community outreach (written and verbal)
- Strong work ethic, collaboration, and time management skills
- Ability to work some evenings or weekends required
- Availability to serve in-person for some or all service activities
- Receive a Taxable Stipend up to $23,000/year, paid bi-weekly
- Earn a Federal Education Award worth up to $6,495 upon successful completion of service
- 40-hour SCI Member Professional Development Certificate Program: professional development training in Volunteer Management, Building Social Capital, Community Outreach, Youth Development, Project Management, and DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
- Eligible for Free Healthcare at a no-cost premium
- Can receive Student Loan Forbearance during active service
Social Capital Inc. is an equal opportunity & inclusive employer and welcomes ALL candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity.