United Way AmeriCorps Fellow/Public School
Start Your Career in Education Today!
Join Our 2021-2022 Team!
About AmeriCorps and the United Way AmeriCorps Fellowship:
AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals towards helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The United Way AmeriCorps Fellowship is an innovative education program that places 30 AmeriCorps Fellows in public schools in Lynn, Salem, and Gloucester, MA. Fellows are trained to provide structured tutoring and mentoring support to multilingual learners, helping them succeed academically and develop social-emotional skills (communication, critical thinking, self-awareness, etc.). Fellows serve in public schools supporting multilingual learners in elementary, middle, or high schools. Full-Time United Way AmeriCorps Fellows complete 1700 hours of service from their start date in September 2021 to end of their service term in July 2022.
Public School Fellow Key Responsibilities:
- Support multilingual learners with academics and social-emotional learning in 1:1 or small group settings
- Check in frequently with focus list students and provide individual support throughout the school day
- Promote a positive learning environment and school climate
- Support public schools with additional initiatives such as retention, attendance, and family coordination
- Make content accessible for multi-lingual learners in partnership with classroom teachers
United Way AmeriCorps Public School Placements:
- Lynn Classical High School, Lynn, MA
- Lynn English High School, Lynn, MA
- Breed Middle School, Lynn, MA
- Marshall Middle School, Lynn, MA
- Collins Middle School, Salem, MA
- Salem High School, Salem, MA
- Veterans Memorial Elementary, Gloucester, MA
- O'Maley Middle School, Gloucester, MA
- Gloucester High School, Gloucester, MA
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- High School Diploma or GED or higher
- Between the ages of 17 and 35 as of August 1st 2021
- Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- Interest in public schools and their development
- Passion for working in a public school
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Desire to work with diverse people, organizations and communities
- Commitment to service
- Invested in working in a local North Shore community
- Positive attitude, solutions-oriented, and adaptability
National Service Requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service over the course of one year, as well as the full-term of service (September 2021 - July 2022)
- Attend all Corps wide training and learning sessions
- Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
About United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. That means everyone- individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies. We work every day to achieve our vision by helping lay the foundations for better lives via Financial Opportunity and Educational Success.
United Way AmeriCorps Fellow Position Benefits:
- Professional Development Benefits
- Youth Development including Proactive Behavior Management
- Supporting the Academic Needs of Multilingual Learners, including the Sheltered Immersion Observation Protocol (SIOP)
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Mental Health First Aid
- Trauma Informed Care
- Data Collection and Analysis
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging Practices
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Education Benefits
- $6,345 taxable Segal Education Award upon completion of full-time service term
- Education Loan Forbearance
- 25% Discount on Undergraduate and Graduate Classes in Partnership with Northeastern University
- Cost of Living Benefits
- $17,000 taxable living allowance paid in bi-weekly installments during term of service
- SNAP Benefit Eligibility
- Connection to Housing Support
- Optional Childcare Benefits
- Health & Wellness Benefits
- Mental Health and Counseling Services
- Optional Cigna Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Free YMCA Membership
- Additional Benefits
- Access to the United Way network of nonprofit partners during and after service
- Microsoft Office 1 Year Subscription
- United Way Clothing
United Way AmeriCorps Fellow Selection Timeline:
- Application deadline for the 2021-2022 year is August 27th. Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed.
- September 7th to September 10th, 2021 Weeklong AmeriCorps Fellow orientation focused on understanding AmeriCorps, United Way, professional development and team building.
Join Our 2021-2022 Team Today!
United Way of Massachusetts Bay is committed to fostering a work environment characterized by dignity and respect. Our workforce is diverse and is reflective of our community. We wish to celebrate our diversity and create an environment in which each individual's skills and talents are best utilized to help us achieve our goals. Discrimination, of any kind, is not consistent with our mission and values, and will not be tolerated. United Way is committed to the inclusion of people with disabilities as members and provides reasonable accommodations for the application process, interviews and service upon request.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.