About AmeriCorps and the United Way AmeriCorps Program:
AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals towards helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The United Way AmeriCorps Program is an innovative young program that places 30 AmeriCorps Members in schools and nonprofit organizations throughout Lynn, Salem, and Gloucester, MA, to help implement programs designed to reduce the school dropout rate among English Learners in grades K-12 by supporting social-emotional and academic needs. AmeriCorps Members serve with their host sites, either in a school or a community based nonprofit that provides services to young people. Members provide structured tutoring and mentoring support to English Learners, helping them succeed academically and develop their social-emotional skills. Youth typically range in age from 8-17, depending on the site. AmeriCorps Members complete 1700 hours of service from their start date in September 2020 to July 2021. Collectively, the service of the AmeriCorps Members ensures a holistic approach throughout the community to reduce the barriers to academic success for English Learners and their families.
About United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone — individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies. We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success.
AmeriCorps Service Requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service over the course of one year, as well as the full-term of service (September 2020 – July 2021)
- Attend all Corps wide training and learning sessions
- Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- High School Diploma or GED
- Between the ages of 17 and 29 as of August 1st 2020
Preferred Member Qualifications:
- Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- Interest in nonprofit organizations and/or public schools, and their development
- Organization and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Passion for national and community service
- Desire to work with diverse people, organizations and communities
- Positive attitude, flexibility and adaptability
- $17,000 taxable living allowance paid in bi-weekly installments
- $6,195 Segal Education Award upon completion of service
- Paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Loan Forbearance
- Uniform parts
- Free YMCA Membership for the year (Access to Lynn, Salem, and Gloucester YMCAs)
- Training and networking opportunities among a core groups of Corps Members and other nonprofit professionals.
- Access to the United Way network for resources during and after service
AmeriCorps Member Selection Timeline:
Application deadline for the 2020-2021 year is July 2020. Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed.
September 8th to September 25th, 2020 - Three-week full team AmeriCorps Member orientation focused on understanding AmeriCorps, United Way, professional development and team building.
September 28th, 2020 - AmeriCorps Members begin full-time service at sites
Join Our 2020-2021 Team Today!
Interested Candidates Please Submit an Application Here or Send Your Resume Directly to:
Zach Brown, Program Coordinator